Feeding mealworms

R89900

Arachnopeon
So I bought a tub of mealworms for my slings thinking it would be easier and more cost effective. However it's giving me guilt when I cut them up and crush their heads and they are still moving. Am I just being daft? It feels cruel. I'm not usually like this. I can crush cricket heads no problem. Could I freeze the worms first?

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
So I bought a tub of mealworms for my slings thinking it would be easier and more cost effective. However it's giving me guilt when I cut them up and crush their heads and they are still moving. Am I just being daft? It feels cruel. I'm not usually like this. I can crush cricket heads no problem. Could I freeze the worms first?
I wouldn't freeze them, but if you store them in the fridge they go nearly dormant. You can crush and cut them as soon as you remove a few for feeding, and they won't move around nearly as much. This is a good way to keep them long term, as well, as they'll last for up to 6 months in the refrigerator.

Lokee85

Arachnoknight
However it's giving me guilt when I cut them up and crush their heads and they are still moving. Am I just being daft? It feels cruel.
Just remember, you're killing them either way because you're feeding them to another animal. ;) How you prepare them doesn't change this fact, it only changes whether or not the prey can become a danger to your pet(s). You're doing the right thing for your slings.