Feeding Isopods to slings

Venom100

Arachnosquire
Has anyone used Isopods as feeders for tarantulas slings? If so was it repetitive or just occasionally?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I have, but it was more of a hassle than it was worth. They're not "squirmy" enough to reliably trigger a feeding response. If you must, then you can 'tickle' the tarantula. That is, get a dried blade of grass and agitate the area around the feeder to trigger a feeding response. Just be sure to have a catch cup nearby, of course.

StampFan

Arachnodemon
Has anyone used Isopods as feeders for tarantulas slings? If so was it repetitive or just occasionally?
Yep, I've fed centipedes, scorpions, and T slings isopods over the past few weeks. Just like any other feeder, really. I crush the head of anything I feed to a sling, drop it in, and whoomp, dinner.

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
Yep, I've fed centipedes, scorpions, and T slings isopods over the past few weeks. Just like any other feeder, really. I crush the head of anything I feed to a sling, drop it in, and whoomp, dinner.
Yeah I wouldn’t risk an. Isopod eating your T if it’s molts . There little ocean dweller like creatures . Love the dampness!!

TreMul

Arachnopeon
I use isopods in every enclosure with absolutely zero priblems. I've only seen a handful of them get eaten, but typically I don't see it happen. It's funny; I'll have some slings and never see them eat anything. Not crickets, not dubias...then all of a sudden they've molted! I can only assume they're eating the isopods.

coolnweird

Arachnobaron
I use isopods in every enclosure with absolutely zero priblems. I've only seen a handful of them get eaten, but typically I don't see it happen. It's funny; I'll have some slings and never see them eat anything. Not crickets, not dubias...then all of a sudden they've molted! I can only assume they're eating the isopods.
Issue only has to happen once to result in a dead spider. No one can tell you what to do, but the fact remains that isopods are capable of and willing to eat vulnerable Ts

TreMul

Arachnopeon
Issue only has to happen once to result in a dead spider. No one can tell you what to do, but the fact remains that isopods are capable of and willing to eat vulnerable Ts
Well, there's no denying that!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My H. chilensis were fed springtails as after hatching as they were too small for even micro crickets. But that happened at the breeder, I personally never used them as feeders. Never had any spiders that small requiring such.

And I have never heard of isopods harming a T either...

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
And I have never heard of isopods harming a T either...
It has certainly happened, and not only to T’s but other arachnids as well during molting. Munch munch munch by cleaner crew.

Transrights

Arachnosquire
It has certainly happened, and not only to T’s but other arachnids as well during molting. Munch munch munch by cleaner crew.
I think Tom Moran has a podcast episode on isopods and tarantulas where he goes into this. Been a while since I listened to it but I remember that the takeaway was exactly this: Isopods will munch on molting Ts and other inverts.

Episode 3.15

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Again, first time I hear of this. I've used them bunches and never had problems with the T's in the enclosures they were in. Then again, I used Trichorchina tormentosa which are tiny compared to any 'common' isopods. Either way, got any papers for me to read on the subject? Because, no offense, sounds to me like just another myth reurgitated...

I think Tom Moran has a podcast episode on isopods and tarantulas where he goes into this. Been a while since I listened to it but I remember that the takeaway was exactly this: Isopods will munch on molting Ts and other inverts.

Episode 3.15
Who's Tom Moran?

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Either way, got any papers for me to read on the subject? Because, no offense, sounds to me like just another myth reurgitated...
I have no papers on it, but there’s been two threads recently before you came back. Let me see if I can track them down. Really not regurgitating anything.

Matts inverts

Arachnoangel
I’ve never dead my t isopods but I have have fed assassin bugs them and it takes a bit but the assassin bugs fight so I don’t worry about them

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
i wouldn't. just like i wouldn't feed my dog pangolins.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Thanks for the info on Tom Moran, I'll check him out. Somehow sounds familiar though I can't place how, or from where, right now.

As for the isopods: Let's be honest here, why anyone would feed their T's those is beyond me. And after looking through some information and talking with a couple people, there's the big difference in size between those I use as "cleaning crew" in my humid enclosures and those some ppl offer as food.

Those I use, are the size of springtails and I doubt its even possible. Species: Trichorchina tormentosa (basically the size of springtails)

As for those people feed to their T's? I mainly found those are of the genus Porcellio or others, which grow to 0.5"-0.75" primarily.

Generally, isopods don't eat living tissue, but the rotting remains of plants (their main food source), though they will occasionally scavenge dead insects. Either way, they require stable levels of humidity and are easy to get rid off if unwanted.

Now that I've read up on the issue and the isopods my opinion is keepers fault. Stick to the proven, working food sources and stop experimenting feeding your T's other stuff.

bobbibink

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Great guy who makes YT videos, articles and has a weekly podcast. Although I sometimes don't agree with some opinion of his, he has a really pragmatic and great approach to educating people about Ts and everything concerning the hobby. He's experienced and he knows a lot. He's also here on AB sometimes. https://tomsbigspiders.com/

He’s great. Sincere and a fantastic teacher. I love listening to his podcasts. Highly recommended.