1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeding Dubias to scorpions

Discussion in 'Scorpions' started by Lance Aviles, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Lance Aviles

Lance Aviles Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    I currently have two scorpions and I only feed them dubias but somebody told me that feeding scorpions dubias are bad because they are high in calcium and can cause bad effects in the molting process. they told me that I should get lats because it's their proper diet. is this true? I have been doing my research but I haven't seen anything that dubias are bad to scorpions but I still want to make sure

2. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

They eat almost anything they can overpower. Feeding lats VS dubias is in no way a "proper diet" lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. RTTB

RTTB Arachnoprince Active Member

No health risks that I'm aware of.

• Like Like x 1
  4. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS Arachnosquire Active Member

USA
    Is extra calcium bad for them? For example calcium sand. I'm asking because I bought ground walnut shell by accident and am now looking for more. probably just going to get some play sand.

5. Scorpionluva

Scorpionluva Arachnodemon Arachnosupporter

PA
    I've never heard that either but i do know most of my scorpions tend to prefer B lateralis over dubias. Better feeding response and less mess to clean up also
    And lateralis don't burrow like dubias tend to do

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. darkness975

Walnuts are toxic to invertebrates and calcium sand can crystalize and get crummy.

Play sand is a safe bet usually.

What species do you have ?

7. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

USA
    I know that walnut is toxic that is why I removed it as soon as I realized what I had. I have vaejovis confusus.

8. darkness975

Should be good to go then.

9. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

USA
    I replaced it with some sand that my parents had leftover from their hermit crabs but the sand is white and looks terrible in my opinion.

10. darkness975

@VaejovisCarolineanusSDS I have the natural and red color Repti Sand that I mixed together to make it look like Mars. It's actually pretty cool and it's soft too.

11. VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

USA
    Sounds pretty cool, though I prefer a more natural look. Sounds like something I would maybe try in the future when I have more scorpions, I also want to do a Fallout New Vegas themed enclosure.

12. darkness975

It's mixed so it looks pretty cool.

Also, good game