1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

feeding darkling beetles to T's

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by guitarlust, Feb 13, 2006.

1. guitarlust

guitarlust Arachnosquire Old Timer

Advertisement
    would it be wise to feed the darkling beetle to an adult T as a source of food besides crickets? would the fangs be able to penetrate the outer shell or is there a risk that the fang could break? if i could use it as a source of food that would be great. what do you all think or have you tried from experience? any advice would be appreciated.

2. Brian S

Brian S ArachnoGod Old Timer

A large enough spider can break thru their armor. I have seen it before.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. cacoseraph

cacoseraph ArachnoGod Old Timer

if you are talking about the beetles meal worms (tenebrio molitor) turn into.... i've have seen exactly one of my pets eat one... and it was my crazy G. rosea so i wouldn't exactly count it a very good data point!

EVERYTHING else just ignores them... but if you can get them to eat, more power to you!

4. A couple of my T's have taken them before. They don't seem to be all that fond of them. My big mantis loves them, and scorps of appropriate size will take them too. They tend to release a stink when threatened, and I reckon T's don't like that. In the past I witnessed a rather disturbing sight in my local butterfly farm: They have a massive (like 8 feet long) communal tank of Pandinus cavimanus scorps, theres about 200-300 scorps in there, and there was this one scorpion sat there with one of those beetles EATING ITS METOSOMA! The scorp sat there seemingly unbothered, while the beetle chewed away on the metosoma. It had already eaten the stinger and one segment of the metosoma itself...I coun't believe what I was seeing, needless to say I would watch what those nasty beetles were up to in future. I don't use mealworms because they are little sods too, one of them ate my assassin bug while it was moulting, and others nibbled at my trapdoor spider. In case of confusion, I'm referring to "superworms" (Zoophobas morio) here, not the smaller mealworms Tenobrio molitor.

5. Lambda Tau

Lambda Tau Arachnopeon

I wouldn't normally resurrect such an old thread, but for posterity I'll comment. I've had my tarantulas respond very well to Tenebrio molitor beetles. I've had brachypelma albopilosum, nhandu chromatus, greenbottle blue, and salmon pink all eat them eagerly. These are the only spiders I've fed them up to now but I'll keep everyone updated. With the larger spiders you do hear a very nice crunch sound, and easily a couple are taken at once. With spiderlings I think putting the beetle on its back gives them a better chance since they get the softer belly.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Paul1126

Paul1126 Arachnolord Active Member

I have never had a spider refuse these beetles.

• Agree Agree x 2