Feeding Cost

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A roach colony without a good sized collection is unneeded imo, I'd get mealworms if I were you. One box of mealies kept at room temp lasts around 3-4 weeks for me when kept properly, even more if you keep them in the fridge. For adults I'd feed 3 or 4 mealworms but they still last a good while and are easy to breed.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I don't want to use crickets because of the chirping :/
The chirping issues are overrated. If you buy medium or small crickets you won't get any chirping. I only get the chirping when I buy the large ones at Petco and even then it is only one or two. The ones that chirp also have wings so they are easy to find and feed to your T's first.

The smell is the biggest issue for crickets. Mine only smell strong when I open the tub but it can be overwhelming.

I will end up needing a colony of dubia's or crickets at some point. I am going through about 100 crickets (75% small and 25% large) per week.

I just saw that crickets are deep fried and eaten in Thailand.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
A roach colony without a good sized collection is unneeded imo, I'd get mealworms if I were you. One box of mealies kept at room temp lasts around 3-4 weeks for me when kept properly, even more if you keep them in the fridge. For adults I'd feed 3 or 4 mealworms but they still last a good while and are easy to breed.
This is very subjective. I started keeping a dubia colony when I only had about five adults, and frankly I wish I had started sooner. It's rarely convenient for me to go to the pet store for a cricket run, and being able to feed on my schedule is very helpful. This is especially true when you take into consideration the sling's feeding schedule versus the adult's. Plus, keeping roaches is actually pretty fun!

Misty Day

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This is very subjective. I started keeping a dubia colony when I only had about five adults, and frankly I wish I had started sooner. It's rarely convenient for me to go to the pet store for a cricket run, and being able to feed on my schedule is very helpful. This is especially true when you take into consideration the sling's feeding schedule versus the adult's. Plus, keeping roaches is actually pretty fun!
It is subjective, I still think a colony for only a handful of spiders is overkill, but it's all personal preference.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I'd get mealworms if I were you. One box of mealies kept at room temp lasts around 3-4 weeks for me when kept properly, even more if you keep them in the fridge. For adults I'd feed 3 or 4 mealworms but they still last a good while and are easy to breed.
So, what I find is that they dig down into the substrate in a matter of seconds, usually before the tarantula can even notice them.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
So, what I find is that they dig down into the substrate in a matter of seconds, usually before the tarantula can even notice them.
Crushing their heads will solve that problem. They'll still wiggle around so the T can detect them, but they won't be able to burrow.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Crushing their heads will solve that problem. They'll still wiggle around so the T can detect them, but they won't be able to burrow.
I decided to go with dubia roaches instead. Thanks for the info, though!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The dubia are illegal in Canada, so I don't use them. They are around, but I am not going to get caught with them. That is extremely bad news.
I hated having crickets around - I was desperate for an alternative.
I buy 100 super worms for $10.99 at my local pet shop. They last me forever, even with nearly 20 of my collection eating them. I have to feed my spiders a lot less when I use super worms. They live for a very, very long time and are easy to keep alive.
Some of my tarantulas aren't that fond of them, but eat them eventually when they don't get anything else. I buy crickets the odd time, but not enough of them that I have to keep them around. I feed them to the gang immediately.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a variety of feeders at any one time including waxworm,dubia,mealworm,locust and silent brown crickets (not completely silent but near enough). The equivalent of petco over here in the uk is supplied by a single company that breeds all of the above feeders so ive simply cut out the middle man and it means i get a large maxi tub of 200-250 crickets for around the same price as a small tub from the pet store

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Why not start a dubia colony even for one adult T? Its benefits are great! You will always have food for free, ( well minor costs to maintain the roaches) and you can always sell the excess.. And the excess is big if you have only one T.. :) If you invest the money you get from dubias solely in the hobby, you practically have no "financial problems" when it comes to Ts.. (assuming that you have enough buyers and that you don't plan on buying 50 Ts in a month :D) I mean at least in my country dubias sell.. and they go for 20€ for a 100.. which is about the same in $ these days.

Alienwiredgirl

Arachnopeon
Why not start a dubia colony even for one adult T? Its benefits are great! You will always have food for free, ( well minor costs to maintain the roaches) and you can always sell the excess.. And the excess is big if you have only one T.. :) If you invest the money you get from dubias solely in the hobby, you practically have no "financial problems" when it comes to Ts.. (assuming that you have enough buyers and that you don't plan on buying 50 Ts in a month :D) I mean at least in my country dubias sell.. and they go for 20€ for a 100.. which is about the same in $ these days.
I don't want to use crickets because of the chirping :/
What is the minimum space needed to start a colony? Is there truth to them breeding only if temperatures are over 90 degrees?

Jones0911

Arachnobaron
Hello again everybody!

So I know i've made two other threads recently, but I have one final question. Do you have a roach colony, or do you buy them every time you need more? I ask because I have yet to buy my first T, but I was looking at the price of the Dubia and Lateralis roaches on Jamie's Tarantulas, and with $12 + shipping for every 25 roaches, the cost would soon add up. The thing is, I don't really want to have a colony because I've heard many stories about how it can be overwhelming if you only have one T, and how there can be an odor. On the other hand, I'm on a sort of "budget" and upwards of $12 for every 25 roaches can be quite a lot in the end. Thanks for taking the time to read this everyone!
Go to Dubiaroaches.com you can buy a lot at great prices and the shipping will always be $7 NO MATTER how much you buy!!!

This is the only place I get my roaches, meal worms (all different sizes) and horn worms from...great people

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
What is the minimum space needed to start a colony? Is there truth to them breeding only if temperatures are over 90 degrees?
Space depends on how many animals do you need to feed.. And yes, dubia breed only on temperatures higher than 88F

Ran

Arachnoknight
As others have mentioned, having your own colony will be more cost effective in the long run and the colony will take time to grow...and it is very nice to be able to just go get some for feeding anytime. Feeding the colony is cheap... just feed leftover veggies and fruit. I maintain 4 different colonies of roaches quite easily and cheaply.

Alienwiredgirl

Arachnopeon
As others have mentioned, having your own colony will be more cost effective in the long run and the colony will take time to grow...and it is very nice to be able to just go get some for feeding anytime. Feeding the colony is cheap... just feed leftover veggies and fruit. I maintain 4 different colonies of roaches quite easily and cheaply.
I have a classroom with 2 tadpoles, and not to GBB sling, it would be nice to teach the kids the circle of life from prey to predator...This said, I don't have that much room to dedicate which is why I was wondering about the bare minimum to feed 2 slings...

Alienwiredgirl

Arachnopeon
Space depends on how many animals do you need to feed.. And yes, dubia breed only on temperatures higher than 88F
Thanks for the confirmation, I need to feed 2 chroma slings and eventually 2 frogs. I have a teachers salary and thinking breeding as the original poster suggested might be the best economical not to mention educational way.

Alienwiredgirl

Arachnopeon
Go to Dubiaroaches.com you can buy a lot at great prices and the shipping will always be $7 NO MATTER how much you buy!!!

This is the only place I get my roaches, meal worms (all different sizes) and horn worms from...great people
Thanks for this!!