Feeding alternatives

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
The local pet shop here doesn't really sell anything other than meal/super worms & crickets but I wanted to try feeding my G. rosea something other than crickets, something new for a change. What are some reliable websites that sell a variety of feeder insects (besides worms & crickets) ? Also any suggestions on what I should try? (grasshoppers, beetles, moths, roaches, etc?)

cold blood

Staff member
The local pet shop here doesn't really sell anything other than meal/super worms & crickets but I wanted to try feeding my G. rosea something other than crickets, something new for a change. What are some reliable websites that sell a variety of feeder insects (besides worms & crickets) ? Also any suggestions on what I should try? (grasshoppers, beetles, moths, roaches, etc?)
Mine is very picky...won't grab any type of worm, it was the first (and only) t I had that refused a wax worm. Many others don't have this issue, but being that mine is picky, I'll mention the other 2 feeders that she actually eats....hoppers, she takes them often, but also refuses them, especially after a few in a row. Her favorite by far is moths, rarely refuses them. If you can get fat moths, clip a wing, hold it over the t for a second and drop. Great feeders if you can find them or have the time to raise them...you never have to worry about an uneaten moth.

Most decently sized hoppers and basically all types of feeder worm are a much larger meal than a cricket, so feedings can be reduced if you feed these.

Beatlesdork

Arachnopeon
@coldblood
my T won't eat worms!! They refused wax worms. Which is surprising to me because the T is a ravenous eater usually when it comes to crickets. Where can I get moths?

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
@coldblood
my T won't eat worms!! They refused wax worms. Which is surprising to me because the T is a ravenous eater usually when it comes to crickets. Where can I get moths?
You can buy them online, have you tried Dubia roches?

---------- Post added 03-02-2015 at 09:38 PM ----------

You can buy them online, have you tried Dubia roches?
Roaches*..

14pokies

Arachnoprince
Check out LLLreptile.com..you can also find a lot of good deals on amazon.

TypicalCricket

Arachnopeon
If you're in Canada like me, then roaches are unfortunately not an option. You could try superworm beetles if you're patient enough to wait for them to pupate.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Find a reptile expo and grab some roaches. I got a $20 pack of Discoids over a year ago that were supposed to be just used as feeders. Ended up having way more roaches than I needed, and now I have an entire colony of them. These guys grow to be quite large, so you are gonna want a starter colony with a good mix of sizes; mine eventually got too large to feed to the T's I own. Seems to take about 6 months for them to fully mature, but once you get some breeding adults they pump out babies in no time. Easy as hell to care for too, just some dog food and water crystals and egg crate and a small heat pad.