Feeder size too small?

Stratton

Arachnopeon
I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and their opinions on the subject. My Brachypelma albopilosum is around the 3" range DLS give or take and has been taking adult crickets. Currently I have several baby crickets as well but my T seems to ignore them, she showed some interest in the last adult cricket I had but didn't take it.
What I'm wondering is if anyone else has noticed or found that their T will ignore something like a cricket might be too small? Keep in mind the baby cricket is still about her carapace in length so it's not like I'm trying to feed her fruit flies or something.
Of course she could always be in pre molt too but thought I'd ask around.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Need more info: how big are the two sizes of crickets? Unless they are small crickets I’m leaning towards yours just fasting, whether it be from premoult or just from being temporarily full is anyone’s guess unless you post a photo of the spider. ;)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
their T will ignore something like a cricket might be too small?
ABSOLUTELY! Its not worth the energy output for a small meal. HOWEVER, they will eventually eat them once that's the only size they get.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It depends on how hungry the spider is. Sometimes they aren't terribly hungry and will ignore smaller prey. Other times, if they're hungry enough, they'll eat them anyway. Sometimes the "large" crickets that I buy aren't much bigger than the medium crickets - but I just compensate for the smaller size by tossing in more of them. If the spider is hungry, it will grab up several of them at once, wad them into a ball, and start chowing down.

Stratton

Arachnopeon
ABSOLUTELY! Its not worth the energy output for a small meal. HOWEVER, they will eventually eat them once that's the only size they get.
I was thinking the same, but I won't leave crickets in with my T for an extended period. If there is no sign of interest or an immediate hit then I take the cricket out and wait a day or two and try again.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If there is no sign of interest or an immediate hit then I take the cricket out and wait a day or two and try again.
They aren't mindless eating machines as all the StupidTuber's portray them to be.

I used to remove crix in the same fashion, but if the T is large enough to easily take out the cricket I leave them in, provided there is space for the T to take off. Some species take a long time and stalk prey, like H. chilensis.

Stratton

Arachnopeon
They aren't mindless eating machines as all the StupidTuber's portray them to be.

I used to remove crix in the same fashion, but if the T is large enough to easily take out the cricket I leave them in, provided there is space for the T to take off. Some species take a long time and stalk prey, like H. chilensis.
She's a Brachypelma so normally no hit means they aren't interested for one of 50 reasons.

Stratton

Arachnopeon
I can only think of 2 not hungry or fasting
Not hungry, fasting, pre molt, recent molt, stressed, not enough stimulation, too much stimulation are some of the more obvious ones. There aren't actually 50 reasons, I was being ironic.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I'm wondering if anyone else has come across this and their opinions on the subject. My Brachypelma albopilosum is around the 3" range DLS give or take and has been taking adult crickets. Currently I have several baby crickets as well but my T seems to ignore them, she showed some interest in the last adult cricket I had but didn't take it.
What I'm wondering is if anyone else has noticed or found that their T will ignore something like a cricket might be too small? Keep in mind the baby cricket is still about her carapace in length so it's not like I'm trying to feed her fruit flies or something.
Of course she could always be in pre molt too but thought I'd ask around.
Sounds like pre-molt or fasting to me.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
Not hungry, fasting, pre molt, recent molt, stressed, not enough stimulation, too much stimulation are some of the more obvious ones. There aren't actually 50 reasons, I was being ironic.
Pre moult and recent moult is just youre t fasting imo why else would if fast apart from being overfed. Stimulation of the T ?