1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeder questions

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Niclou69, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Niclou69

Niclou69 Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    Hi everybody! I don't keep any inverts right now, but I've been thinking about getting a tarantula, and I just had a question about feeders.

Is it alright to exclusively feed just one species of insect? Like only feeding crickets or mealworms? The reason I ask is because I've had to deal with crickets in the past, and frankly, I would rather not have to deal with them again if I can avoid it. Would it be healthier for the T to have more variation in its diet, or would it do fine on just mealworms?

And also, if I do need to feed crickets, how many would be best to buy at a time? I would only have one tarantula, so I wouldn't really need a huge amount of crickets at a time, but they die pretty fast, so it could end up being pretty annoying to run out to the store to buy more every week or two.

And also, because I know somebody is going to say it: No, sadly I cant use roaches. Tropical roaches are illegal in Canada, and even though its not like the FBI is raiding houses to make sure nobody is hiding any dubias, there still isn't anywhere I can go to buy them.

Sorry if any of my questions are kinda dumb! Its just that crickets are annoying, and if I could avoid them without complicating the tarantula's health that would be great.

2. You can absolutely just feed mealworms and they’ll last for a long time (also super easy to breed)
    I personally would throw in a wax worm every once in a while but it can be a huge meal if you’ve just got a sling.

Some people will argue with u but a T can survive fine on one food for its whole life.

3. Niclou69

Niclou69 Arachnopeon

Okay, cool! Thanks so much for clearing that up for me :)

4. LittleGiRLy

LittleGiRLy Arachnoknight Old Timer

It should be ok. I mostly feed mine crickets, but throw in a mealworm/wax worm/roach once in a while for them to munch on. If anything, you can always give it a few crickets here and there when you feel like he needs a change.

5. Venom1080

Venom1080 Arachnoemperor Active Member

There's no evidence I'm aware of that shows they need alot of diversity. Or any really. Diversity in prey certainly doesn't hurt however.

If you were to supplement the diet with crickets too, don't buy more than a dozen. They die fast and the spider doesnt all of them.

6. I mostly mix up the feeders for my sanity. I'd go insane trying to catch only crickets for the entirety of my tarantulas' lives. They'd be happy, however.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Rob1985

Rob1985 This user has no status. Old Timer

I have transitioned to entirely B. lateralis roaches, but that isn't an option over there Canada... kill joys. I guess you're stuck with crickets and super worms. :meh:

8. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnoreaper Arachnosupporter

Yes and yes, I have juvies that have eaten nothing but mealworms for their entire lives to date and they're no less healthy than those that've been feed 2 or more types of feeder.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tenebrarius

Tenebrarius Arachnoangel Active Member

variation doesn't matter just use super worms.

10. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

Lol. Im pretty skilled at catching them now, your using your tongs right? I go for the ones in the corners or in the egg crate centers, almost never miss.

Now I have always been outspoken about offering a varied diet, and my tarantulas in general seem to grow faster then most. Nothing conclusive, but I cant see how it would hurt...seems unnatural to raise a tarantula on one feeder species alone, when they will eat literally anything that moves, and is small enough for them to overpower.

• Like Like x 1
  11. I can’t speak for the rest of Canada but I know of quite a few downtown Kingston houses where you could collect some mighty juicy roaches

12. Haha, yes, I use tongs. It's mostly because I'm trying to be gentle when I grab their body so they don't get too maimed. Or on the extreme opposite end trying to pinch them so they'll drop their 'jumping' legs and can only crawl.