1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeder Insects in Canada

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by Bunn, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    Advertisement
    So, I feed my small (but steadily growing) collection of T's crickets, but I hate the damn things. Roaches are super illegal, and I'm at a loss. Is there any other insect that I can rear and toss to my babies, or am I stuck with the spawns from hell? I reside in Ontario, so the bylaws here are already stricter, and the last thing I want to do is get anyone in any form of trouble.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. athlete96

athlete96 Arachnopeon

I feed mealworms cut up for little slings, and I've also fed black soldier fly larvae.

Also in ON. God damn the fact we can't have dubias.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Mila

Mila Arachnoknight Active Member

mealworms are good, try super worms for your larger t's

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Gossamer

Gossamer Arachnopeon Active Member

I absolutely hate crickets too, but we don't have much variety here that's readily available. Like others said, meal worms or superworms. Except I hear that supers are fattier, so guess I have to incorporate crickets into their diet anyway.

I'm also in ON

5. StampFan

StampFan Arachnopeon Active Member

Calgary
    Waxworms are pretty readily available and a lot less work than crickets.

6. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    *deep sigh* I guess I'll be mixing it up with worms.. And crickets. I'm looking to start a breeding colony to save myself a couple bucks here and there (for more spiders, obviously), but everything I've read about crickets makes me want to curl in a hole and die.

7. Mila

crickets are easy to breed im not sure why they get a bad wrap minus the smell. just need a large tub (you want a tall one so they dont jump out whenever you open it to feed them or harvest) and then provide containers of a soil substrate with mesh over the top that you can spray. it works best to cut out the lid so you just have the frame of the lid then hot glue the mesh on top. the crickets will deposit the eggs into the substrate and then when they hatch you can swap out the containers and harvest the micro crickets are put them into a seperate container and raise them until theyre sub adults.

8. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    The smell is what gets to me. That, and they are a lot of work. I have a lot of animals that require daily upkeep, so I'd prefer something that requires a little less maintenance, but I do like the idea of knowing what I am feeding my spiders from the moment their feeders are born.

9. Mila

if you keep the crickets on a mesh bottom then their poo will fall through and is easy to remove. i saw a setup before where the poo fell into water which masked the smell. i used to breed rats by the hundred every week and crickets are nothing compared to that smell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sad Sad x 1
  10. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    Ohhh. The mesh is a good idea! I've just recently gotten into spiders, so my area of comfort an expertise is with snakes, so thank you very much for the advice!

11. Chuckmater

Chuckmater Arachnopeon

I'm also from Ontario and yeah, crickets and super worms are just about the only options we have. Hornworms are pretty cool I guess. Once, I went and bought a small lizard at PetSmart and fed it to my P. Formosa....that was quite the treat for her!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017 at 1:43 PM
  12. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    I don't have anything that would be big enough to eat a lizard yet haha. But hopefully my L.para will get there c: Fingers crossed it's a female!

13. SingaporeB

SingaporeB Arachnopeon Active Member

NJ
    Just order some roaches from Europe. They know how to ship them so it won't be a problem.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
  14. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    Sadly, I don't want to risk it. If I make a mistake here, I'm liable to screw it up for other people in this hobby.

• Like Like x 2
  15. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron Active Member

Do not follow this guy's advice - he is delusional. Smuggling in any animal into Canada, especially those species who are HIGHLY illegal in this country and monitored very closely by the CFIA, is going to land you in a huge amount of trouble... federal trouble. Roaches are not just banned in an inconvenient, by-law, kinda way - they are highly illegal. To suggest on this forum that people should engage in illegal smuggling of ANY animal should get him immediately banned.
    This guy is bad news and anyone with a lick of common sense wouldn't listen to his advice.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Bunn

Bunn Arachnopeon

Toronto
    Don't worry Spidermom. I'm not even entertaining the idea. That's why I made a post here to find out if there is any other insect that wasn't a roach that was good for my spiders.

17. SingaporeB

NJ
    Please post your evidence to back up this declarative and definitive sounding statement.

Anyone want to take her side and put some real money on this? I'm willing to bet she can't produce anything. Her chance of coming out on the winning end here is absolute zero, the same as those who tried pounding me down on the "brown boxing"spiders thing and had their heads handed to them.

I'll guarantee any Canadian that they can have roaches delivered to their door in Canada without issue, every bit as easy as ordering something from Amazon. Canadians are doing it all the time and they just don't make videos about it because of the legality issue. There are roach colonies all over Canada.

Across the pond - and over that dead empire island with the famous queen - folk on the continent are not a special kind of stupid. They've got it covered.

18. darkness975

darkness975 a Dream Within a Dream Arachnosupporter

Not sure what people are feeding their crickets or how wet they are keeping their enclosure but I don't have issues with smell.

19. VanessaS

VanessaS Arachnobaron Active Member

Are you that thick? Saying I don't have a leg to stand on and then admitting that people are hiding it because they are illegal? Of course people are doing it - people do illegal things all the time and some even manage not to get caught. I know people with roach colonies personally.
    They are illegal... period. And just because people are getting away with it doesn't make it any less so. Promoting illegal behaviour that can have serious consequences on the hobby is stupid and irresponsible and puts you in the not-so-bright category.
    You have some serious problems. Not only are you killing tarantulas faster than a 8 year old, but also promoting illegal activity. You're definitely not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. SingaporeB

NJ
    1) Are you a police officer?

2) "Do not follow this guy's advice - he is delusional" Yet you admit that I'm right. Your argument now is "Yes, SingaporeB is right, but it's against the law so don't do it!"

Why don't you just finish this thread properly by writing: "If you follow SingaporeB's advice you will have a thriving roach colony like any American or European, but it's against the law so don't do it!"

• Dislike Dislike x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1