Feeder Frog?

Iowa T Keeper

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
anyone ever tried feeding a frog or toad?

Or how about reptile feeder?

I have heard of mice and fish and bird, but what else do people feed?

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
my t's like sirloin steak medium rare with of a bit of montreal steak spice and mashed potatoes with gravy..

da_illest

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
no seriously though.. t's can eat pretty much anything smaller then them that's not a vicious animal (or your t will end up being food) and that hasn't been exposed to pesticides or anything like that....

oxbaker

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
It should be noted that some toads (I dunno about frogs) excrete a toxin of some sort so you may want to do some research into the particular species that you wanna feed to your tarantula.

burnpile

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I keep gray tree frogs and anole sp. as feeders for some snakes, and have found all my T's will eat them.

>> HERE << is a thread about some experiences with anoles and T's for reference

It should be noted that some toads (I dunno about frogs) excrete a toxin of some sort so you may want to do some research into the particular species that you wanna feed to your tarantula.
Absolutely. Unless you're sure about any amphibians toxicity, think twice before feeding them to any animal.

Last edited:

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
remember though that Ts have differnt blood and immunities then vertebrates. someone should do some studys

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My Rosea ate my pet toad. The toad was almost as big at the T but she really liked it. Said it tasted like chicken=D
It took her forever to eat that thing too, most of the day. And the frogs tend to get messy for some reason, real squishy and gross looking.

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
wait wait wait u fed ur PET toad to it. u most have gotten bored with ur toad then lol!!

what kind of toad was it?

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
No, actually I had them both in the same tank for almost a year. The toad would stay on the slightly moist side and my rosea would stay on the dry side. They would eat crickets together and neither seems to mind the other. One day, I guess the toad just crossed over to the wrong side and became "lunch" instead of a lunch buddy.

heyjeyniceid

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I wouldnt try frogs, but thats just me.

Ive tried feeding my big H. Gigas female a snake once. A little snake about 10in. long.

she didnt like it :(

Professor T

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I would't try frogs or toads because they are voracious carnivores that eat many invertebrates for a living. Your T can easily become prey. Also as mentioned, they have highly glandular skin, that often includes poison glands.

Ts can eat small anole lizards, small snakes, and in the wild even large prey. I saw a video of a T. blondi eating a venomous snake much larger than itself. However, I think a good rule of feeding Ts in captuvity would be to keep their prey items small.