Feeder for Scorpion question

Jin Hu Lampasa

Arachnopeon
Hi, I'm new to the scorpion hobby. I use blatta lateralis as my main feeder, but I noticed that the scorplings have trouble catching them in their small enclosure and sometimes ignore them altogether. Is there a way to safely immobilize the roaches? Would it be better to feed them something slow or pre-killed like mealworms or dried maggots?

For reference, I have a 2i emperor and a 2i swammerdami. Although I'll also be getting an adult longi next week.

Thank you!

Tangled

Arachnopeon
For my baby P. emperator I would crush the head (b. lateralis or crickets) and just place it near the babies and they would crawl up and eat it. I have a few other species of scorplings that works for as well, though I don't have swammerdami. My 2i H. hottentotta wouldn't take maimed feeders so I give them 'pinhead' b. lateralis and they take them down without a problem.

Bob Lee

Arachnobaron
You can crush the feeder's head, pre kill them, rip legs off, freeze them for a bit to slow them down. It really depends on your scorps, some scorps don't take pre killed food so that might be an issue. You could also just tong feed your scorps if you want to.

Jin Hu Lampasa

Arachnopeon
Oh, yes. That might work. Thank you! I find it near impossible to catch fast lats with my tongs, but I'll try out the things you guys suggested. Hopefully find what works with my scorps.