Feeder ants !

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Does anyone know of a place to get ant colonies ? I think this would make a great feeder for my small spiders !

anything8legs

Arachnopeon
kenniey said:
Does anyone know of a place to get ant colonies ? I think this would make a great feeder for my small spiders !
by small spiders, do you mean T s'lings? I don't think I would feed ants to tarantulas because of the formic acid in them. And it doesn't seem to me that most spiders are very interested in ants. I would recommend getting a colony of lobster roaches. I have one, and the small nymphs are great for my s'lings.

Elizabeth

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Isn't it Uncle Milton that sells the ant farms and ants? Have you tried collecting a few from outside first, just to see if they will work? That sounds like a tough meal, but then again, I am not a hungry little black widow! Tell us how it goes if you do try it, please.

Jeri

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The big problem with ants is that they can gang up on spiders and kill them. Then the hunter becomes the prey item.

Jeri

kenniey

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i just thought it be kewl to have a nice ant colony ! They are so kewl , But I have no idea how to start one without a queen ant , I guess I will feed them pinheads for now :)

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
black widows will eat large ants, but they tend to be more of a nuisance than an asset, as they can avoid the web, and bite the bw's legs,
feed them crickets or locusts, these work perfectly

Mendi

Arachnowolf
Old Timer
Ants are mostly meat eaters with a dangerous bite and a sting that doesn't contain a barb. They origanally were wasps millions of years ago. IMHO&E they shouldn't be used as a feeder for any pet spiders. Now if you have a Horned Toad from the southwest, ants make up the majority of their dinners... And would be safe for them

Want safe food, try termites

WithCerberus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Many spiders specialize in feeding on ants (ant mimics, several trapdoor spiders, a few cobweb weavers, ect.) and can handle them quite well. Most of the colonies that you can order for the ant farms are not terribly dangerous critters. If you are going to be feeding ants though i'd only place one in the enclosure at a time. Like the others said though, they are more dangerous than the boring ole feeder cricket. The only bonus to feeding ants that I can think of is that those ant farms are so damn cool.

Bobby