1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback on my first time tarantula keeper enclosure

Discussion in 'Vivariums and Terrariums' started by codicez, Dec 27, 2017.

1. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    Advertisement
    Hi guys!
    How are you ?
    Hopefully this is the correct place to ask for it!
    I just got 2 spiderlings and 1 juvenile Tarantula which I would like to get a feedback and opinion on how I have set up them:

So the first pic is my Juvenile Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens, in this picture I just move her from the unboxing, enclosure is 25x25x25 from TheSpidershop.co.uk. I know is big for her/him but I would like to keep her forever in there without housing again, She is now living behind the plants on the bottom left and she/he is webbing all the bottom side where plants are and also she is now starting coming out on the top left side and webbing that area as well.
    As substrate I use cocofibre mixed with Vermiculite... I got dishwash and I sprayed some water just once on right bottom side .. then I realize that she should be fine just with water dish. I feed her 2/3 times a week with small/medium black cricket.. She is always taking and accepting them!

[​IMG]

This is the spiderling AVICULARIA METALLIC SILVER SP COLOMBIA
    I keep her in a Deli container plastic cup, with some branches hangin to let her climb and web around it, I use cocofibre and vermiculite as well with water dish. I feed her with Bean Weevil, she doesn't get them straight away but if I leave one inside the enclosure after a while I found her with the insect in her mouth. I recently tried to fed her with dead cricket bigger than his size and she took it and I found the part separate on her web!
    I made lots of small hole with pin niddle.
    From this picture I removed 2 pieces of wood, one there was some mold on it,probably cuz I water it and the other is the one you can see from here cuz the glue I used was creating that kind of foam and I didn t like.

[​IMG]

And the last one is the Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi
    I just got her in a mini pill box which came in with, I add same cocofibre and vermiculite without dish wash and I drop some water on the opposite side where she normally is.
    I fed her with Bean Weevil as well but I crash them a bit before, I only once see her coming out and took it down one...
    [​IMG]

The enclosue for the 2 spiderlings are provisional, I will rehouse them once they get bigger for sure... Is any suggestion you can give me about the food I can use for them, I was thinking to get some Flightless fruitFlies or mealworm( I know them will burrow so I kind don t like it).I had a prepack of " microcricket " but they all died after 1 week, that was my error I think due of the high humidity they were in, I kept them in the Cricket pen and I dropped bit of water in one of the dishesh...

[​IMG]

Also what do you think about the enclosure? should I add more substrate?

Here is a recent feeding video

I use the tweezer so she can see her pray, I also use to just trap the cricket in her web while she is close to it and move a bit so she take it directly from the web, I know the fact Tweezers can hurt her mouth..
    Any feedback will be much appreciate! Hopefully I did nothing wrong on posting picture and all!

Peace
    Peppe
    [​IMG]

2. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

Since you used vermiculite careful with humidity, that additive is pretty powerful for mantain the moisture level of the substrate in the long run (I use vermiculite, mixed in the substrate, only for those inverts that require a more humid/parameter environment for thrive).

• Like Like x 1
  3. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    Thanks! So bit of vermiculite that is already been mixed with cocofibre and bottle cup as dish wash is enought, So I don't need to spray the substrate at all? Or for the avicularia and Cyricosmus I still have to spray like once in a while?
    Thanks for the attention!
    How about substrate level? should I add more or is enought for them?
    Cuz I'm new in here... Is any post talk about the " tarantula posture " and Meaning of them? I just know when they are angry that they pop their front legs Up

4. Chris LXXIX

C.cyaneopubescens, 'GBB'.

Your enclosure is fine: those are the classic, quite cheap, reliable Europeans glass cages I love. As you know, this enclosure is more suitable for an adult rather than a sling, but anyway, no big deal. The important thing is that the spider can catch the prey, and those lovely web lovers are quite skilled in that. A water dish, always full, is enough for the humidity needed.

I'm a fan of substrate so for me is always a 'yes' :angelic: but that's fine, really. I have a question about that piece of cork bark in the upper right (the one near the 'GBB', I mean) reminds to me kinda Stonehenge and IMO at chances % of falling, I personally wouldn't trust too much that.

Sorta 'arboreal', definitely, but 'GBB' (while terrestrials) possess a great agility so it's ok.

When it comes to genus Avicularia ventilation is essential: too much humidity + not enough ventilation = dead spider. I will leave to others more details about, ain't a fan of that genus at all :pompous:

5. Chris LXXIX

Btw as I've guessed by the name, Peppe, and by your YT channel, you are Italian. If you need an advice feel free to PM me, it's more easy for me to speak/typing using old good Padre Dante language :writer:

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    So I attached it with a Hot Glue Gun... Then from this picture I added another piece of cork bark in between the stone on the ground and the top corkbark you talked about to make it balanced... I also tought that GBB with her massive webbing will give kind of extra support... I'm to confident ? What you reccomend?
    Thanks again also for the possibility to let me message you in private

Attached Files:

7. Chris LXXIX

Check the PM box :)

8. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Moderator Staff Member

I would add some leaves for the Avicularia. They appreciate the cover and use them as anchor points for webbing.

Make sure there is adequate ventilation, as a moist, stuffy container will likely kill an Avicularia.

These two threads contain helpful information about keeping Avicularia:

9. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
  10. Nightshady

Nightshady Dislike Harvester Arachnosupporter

I really like your GBB setup. Aesthetically it looks great!

11. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    Thank you!

12. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    Had problem with picture So this msg can be deleted

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  13. Thekla

Thekla Arachnoknight Active Member

I don't know about others, but I can't see any pics, just this:

negativesign.PNG

:confused:

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  14. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    it shows to me... that's weird.. I will repost it below

Juvenile GBB webs after almost 3 weeks
    [​IMG]

Her " house "
    [​IMG]

Avicularia Purpurea SP Colombia new setup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi
    [​IMG]

Hopefully to get some feedback, I wonder if the GBB is gonna web all the way also on the right side or if she can " move " in there in the future, not sure if she will stay where is she forever...
    I also can't see or spot any " bolus " I mainly fed her with silent cricket,is that possible?

Following some advice I rehouse my Avicularia Purpurea, adding some Fake plants and corkbar flat where she can " stretch " better..

What s the best I can do for such a small spiderling and enclosure for the Cyriocosmus Perezmilesi,she molted already once...

Many thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
  15. Ungoliant

The GBB will likely web every available surface. Mine has made an intricate network of tunnels throughout his webbing.

Some boluses can be very hard to spot against the substrate. If I find one that I can remove without doing too much damage to the web, I do. Otherwise, I don't worry. (A GBB enclosure is arid, so the risk of mold is minimal.)

• Helpful Helpful x 1
  16. codicez

codicez Arachnopeon

London
    Thank you! I actually removed the 2 pieces of corkbar from the right side,cricket where always goin to hide behind IT and was hard to get them out...I Will put some bamboo stick in it..
    Do you think that is possible she/he is in premolt?She create that kind of bed and she is not often going out,also last cricket that I gave to her,was walking around her and into her web but didn t seems to be interested in it... I after took it out..

17. Ungoliant

GBBs typically have a strong feeding response. A GBB that isn't interested in food is almost certainly in pre-molt (assuming it's not a mature male).

Signs of pre-molt (a single sign might not mean pre-molt, but if you are seeing multiple signs, it is likely pre-molt):
    • refuses food
    • seems more lethargic, skittish, or reclusive than normal
    • coloring looks drabber than normal
    • spontaneously shedding hair around its enclosure
    • seals itself into its retreat (do not disturb sign)
    • entire abdomen turns dark (not visible on larger tarantulas without a bald spot): will molt within a few days
    • makes a molting mat: will likely molt within a day
    • flips onto its back or side: it begins!

• Like Like x 1