Feedback on Avicularia Setup?

Keke713

Arachnoknight
057547CE-80D7-494C-9729-3808505343D1.jpeg 02DFD057-F73C-4CFC-ACF6-12D9E908734C.jpeg Hey guys, my name is Chris and I am pretty new to the hobby. I picked up my first T about two weeks ago. I have also ordered an enclosure from jamiestarantulas.com. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
Hey guys, my name is Chris and I am pretty new to the hobby. I picked up my first T about two weeks ago. I have also ordered an enclosure from jamiestarantulas.com. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!
That's not bad for a first Avic setup; I've certainly seen worse. Here are the changes I would make:

Add leafy clutter to the top half of the enclosure, especially close to the cork.
Leafy clutter means: Plenty of leaves, close enough that the tarantula can reach from one to the next but not so close that it cant't get in between. You want your tarantula to be able to web between the leaves but you don't want an impenetrable wall of leaves.
Remove the moss from the ground. A healthy Avic spends little time on the ground, and ground clutter just gives feeder insects a place to hide.

These two threads contain additional helpful information:

NukaMedia Exotics

#1 Tarantula Vendor in the USA! Ships Nationwide.
Not bad but I would take out some of the moss and add like leaves if you can, instead of one lump of stuff its nice to have leaves coming out for more area to web. Looks pretty good other than that, the T is pretty big though so will probably need a bigger enclosure next molt (if not now).

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The center piece should be removed in my opinion. You don't give your T much room to move around IMO. Also, if it gets too big, its setae will start coming out of its exoskeleton because it will be squeezing itself between the center piece and container.

I would drill a hole in a top corner, and stick some plastic plants in the hole, and hot glue them in. I've been doing it that way for years, no issue.