Fedex shipping issue

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
So Sellers should Go all through animal control division To Ship Those tarantulas i don't get it? or just Simply Print on printed and stick it on the shipping box "Live Harmless Insects" Would be enough?
I'm old school. Box should say "Handle with care: ceramic clown bank" on box. (NOT kidding -- it has happened) lol

My cricket orders, with wire mesh sides on box and loud crickets sounds from within, were fairly obvious 'legal' shipments within USPS! lol

Seriously, I thought reptiles/Ts were legal to ship via FedEx. I have received some USPS T/roach deliveries via (can't name seller, but name begins with J) who shipped me all Ts and roaches with a mere "fragile" sticker on box (happened in 2014). I've learned more over time, and do not order from such dealers anymore. They put ME at risk since now I know I ordered them knowingly they'd go through reg post office. $15 USPS priority mail seemed a good price (prices may have increased since them). But I was a newbie and had no idea of laws. But ignorance of the law isn't a legal defense (if caught).

Anyhoo, the last few orders I did were through FedEx -- and with their high shipping costs, I ordered multiple Ts to justify high (but quicker) shipping costs (back in 2015).

If FedEx ISN'T legal anymore -- please advise.

I understand laws re: certain asian species not crossing state lines, but didn't realize it might occur with any T shipped via FedEx. I loved online T ordering to start my collection; but don't want to break the law or pay a fine (or g-d forbid have my new Ts confiscated).

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
If FedEx ISN'T legal anymore -- please advise.
this is their term: LIVE ANIMALS and insects EXCEPT WHEN THE SHIPMENT IS COORDINATED AND APPROVED BY THE FEDEX LIVE ANIMAL DESK. CUSTOMERS CAN CONTACT FEDEX LOCALLY FOR MORE ASSISTANCE. HOUSEHOLD PETS AND LIVE FISH ARE NOT ACCEPTED."
how many of You vendors and traders doing it when Shipping with fedex? i believe maybe few.
its is look like FedEx closing their eye on it. because again we have thousands of Arachnids transferred through fedex, By overnight Shipping it is Big business for them average 40-60$ Shipping.

I guess continuing to keep Lower profile and continue with Hobby.

Last edited:

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Calm down darling. It's all good :D
Don't patronize me.

there are thousands trades and Shipping of Arachnids every year, So all if us agree we all just have to stick on a question: "what is inside?" "They are just pet supplies"
Most of us have already been doing that for YEARS. I'm not one for being dishonest ona regulsr basis, but a little white lie like this when no one is being harmed is necessary.

On a side note, if you use a label service like ShipYourReptiles, you can be honest about what is in the package.

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
Don't patronize me.

Most of us have already been doing that for YEARS. I'm not one for being dishonest ona regulsr basis, but a little white lie like this when no one is being harmed is necessary.

On a side note, if you use a label service like ShipYourReptiles, you can be honest about what is in the package.
thank you, i just have never questioned ever before or had issue, til now i did not even knew it is NOT COMPLETELY LEGAL to transfer insects without Whole approval packages and "paperwork"

Liquifin

Arachnoking
FedEx is a private courier, so it's only "against their rules" to ship arachnids.
Not trying to argue, but this statement is totally taken out of context sometimes. Technically still illegal but USPS is much worse in punishments, but it doesn't change the fact that you're gonna get punished either way if your "truly" caught.

Off topic, but I'd say 99% of brown boxing is through via Fedex. I can explain shipping if you want me too. I have friends who work at both USPS and ex-workers at Fedex. There's actually a lot at play here, WAY more than just what you read about their policies. But it's complicated.

I'm not arguing, but I find people who talk about this shipping or that shipping being legal is odd. Shouldn't we all agree that if the T. is alive and well than it's all good? :kiss::kiss:

Davidmortiis

Arachnopeon
Not trying to argue, but this statement is totally taken out of context sometimes. Technically still illegal but USPS is much worse in punishments, but it doesn't change the fact that you're gonna get punished either way if your "truly" caught.

Off topic, but I'd say 99% of brown boxing is through via Fedex. I can explain shipping if you want me too. I have friends who work at both USPS and ex-workers at Fedex. There's actually a lot at play here, WAY more than just what you read about their policies. But it's complicated.

I'm not arguing, but I find people who talk about this shipping or that shipping being legal is odd. Shouldn't we all agree that if the T. is alive and well than it's all good? :kiss::kiss:
thank you, that all i wanted to hear

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
No, it is not illegal to ship arachnids via FedEx within the country.

Off topic, but I'd say 99% of brown boxing is through via Fedex.
Brown-boxing is receiving spiders imported into the country without the proper documentation and permits. Which is 100% NOT the same thing as someone in Ohio shipping spiders to someone in California in an "unmarked" box.

I can explain shipping if you want me too. I have friends who work at both USPS and ex-workers at Fedex. There's actually a lot at play here, WAY more than just what you read about their policies. But it's complicated.
I think it's hilarious you think you have superior knowledge on the "inner workings" of two completely different services because you "know people" who work/have worked there, yet you are equating brown-boxing with domestic shipping.

You're talking out of your arse, is what you're doing.

It's odd to you to discuss shipping Ts legally versus illegally? :confused:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
No, it is not illegal to ship arachnids via FedEx within the country.

Brown-boxing is receiving spiders imported into the country without the proper documentation and permits. Which is 100% NOT the same thing as someone in Ohio shipping spiders to someone in California in an "unmarked" box.

I think it's hilarious you think you have superior knowledge on the "inner workings" of two completely different services because you "know people" who work/have worked there, yet you are equating brown-boxing with domestic shipping.

You're talking out of your arse, is what you're doing.

It's odd to you to discuss shipping Ts legally versus illegally? :confused:
I didn't come to argue. I'm just saying that focusing getting a T. alive is the main objective. You and I can agree that Fedex is the obvious better choice, but it doesn't mean everyone has to agree. No need to force ones own creed to people. People will listen, doesn't mean they have to agree or follow. Everyone is subjugated to their own motives and beliefs. But people are too quick on leaning towards one side. Better to look all around and not just from one perspective. You can argue on how people who use USPS are crazy, breaking laws, or are illogical, but Fedex would've been my third choice of shipping. If DHL shipping existed in the US it would've been better than Fedex. I don't see what the rile up on Fedex and USPS is about. You're basically beating on a dead horse. If you actually imported anything before, USPS and UPS/Fedex actually works together on that note.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I didn't come to argue. I'm just saying that focusing getting a T. alive is the main objective. You and I can agree that Fedex is the obvious better choice, but it doesn't mean everyone has to agree. No need to force ones own creed to people. People will listen, doesn't mean they have to agree or follow. Everyone is subjugated to their own motives and beliefs. But people are too quick on leaning towards one side. Better to look all around and not just from one perspective. You can argue on how people who use USPS are crazy, breaking laws, or are illogical, but Fedex would've been my third choice of shipping. If DHL shipping existed in the US it would've been better than Fedex. I don't see what the rile up on Fedex and USPS is about. You're basically beating on a dead horse. If you actually imported anything before, USPS and UPS/Fedex actually works together on that note.
That is ridiculous. I am merely pointing out that shipping USPS is illegal and shipping FedEx is not. Again, we are not talking about importing. We are talking about domestic shipping. And no, I don't import Ts. I breed my own or buy from folks breeding their own. So, carry on with encouraging people to do illegal things.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I didn't know either until I read it on these boards. However the postmaster at my small local post office is pretty cool, she knows perfectly well whats in my packages. She even calls me when she knows I'm expecting a package and tells me my spiders are here.
Brava, draconisj4! :)

I love to say to my mail-lady (mail-lady) when she deliver to me a parcel: "Oh, my spiders! And all of them safe, according to the package!" and she: "Ah ah, Chri, you crack me up always" - sweet lady really thinks I'm joking :pompous:

Except he was NOT totally unaware, because he knew he was receiving tarantulas...
That's a mere detail, sweety :bored:

Here in Italy, for instance, since forever we mastered the skill of "deny even top notch evidences" :)

FedEx is a private courier, so it's only "against their rules" to ship arachnids.

USPS is a government entity, so breaking their "rules" is an ILLEGAL federal offense.
Breaking (their rules) Bad :pompous:

Last edited by a moderator:

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
I just came out and said "it's a tarantula" I didn't know any difference. He said all that and then he "let me off with a warning" saying that I make sure I let the seller know she shipped wrong. If you want me to be honest it's just another bunch of nonsense for people to complain about. People are getting good at that.
When I was a newbie I bought a T from the One Big Dealer Who Ships USPS (if you've bought from them you know who I'm talking about). The girl at the counter asked me if it was a live T inside (at this time the dealer actually put their business name on the label). Not knowing rules I replied "I sure hope so". So, of course, she asks if I would show her....and, of course, I did. So there I am opening a deli cup with a 3 in B. emilia to show her and two other employees - including the post master, none of whom mentioned this was problem. I've sure learned a lot since those days :rolleyes:

ThorsCarapace22

Arachnosquire
When I was a newbie I bought a T from the One Big Dealer Who Ships USPS (if you've bought from them you know who I'm talking about). The girl at the counter asked me if it was a live T inside (at this time the dealer actually put their business name on the label). Not knowing rules I replied "I sure hope so". So, of course, she asks if I would show her....and, of course, I did. So there I am opening a deli cup with a 3 in B. emilia to show her and two other employees - including the post master, none of whom mentioned this was problem. I've sure learned a lot since those days :rolleyes:
Oh man I feel like if I tried that so many bad things would happen. But when it comes to my luck it's not the best. But I feel like that was a very interesting experience. : )

TaeikoV

Arachnopeon
Hello! I am new here and was mostly just going to lurk and read up on spiders however after seeing this thread I would like to add some info. I used to work for USPS in their sorting warehouses. There is a reason why people are asked to label things correctly, especially when it's live animals. It is because live animals should not and do not go through the regular sorting system that normal mail does. The reason is because it goes through a huge machine, which scans codes and moves boxes around on belts where they are thrown around into bins and even sometimes crushed. Having Fragile on the box really doesn't mean much. However, live animals, does and they are loaded up very different. When I worked there, it was all done by hand and loaded by hand. Care is taken because it's live animals. They were taken to a special part of the building. *Edit to add* This is done not only for the safety of the animals, but for the people who handle the boxes as well.

There were times when people tried to avoid having to go through the hassle of shipping live animals and tried to just pass off what they were shipping as just normal mail but fragile on it and it was just really bad. I've seen cricket boxes get ripped half open and very damaged. Even had a box that had baby ducks/chicks in it. There was NO way that should have been in my area to sort. It could have been crushed by going through a chute and landing in the correct bin, only to have a super heavy box come flying down after it and crush and kill all that's inside.

So please be mindful of that when wanting to get your Ts shipped. The rules and laws aren't there just to annoy you. There are very strict reasons for it. If anything, say it's reptiles or something. Trying to ship T's through normal basic mail system is pretty dangerous, and you run the risk of killing your poor baby by how rough and little care is taken for basic mail. At least when I worked there anyway.

Hope that was a little helpful. Sorry for butting in!

Last edited: