fed hornworms tomato 2 wks ago, are they feedable now?

seagull

Arachnopeon
i heard they were toxic to a T after being fed tomato, so i only fed them lettuce since in hopes of flushing out the tomato, can i now feed them to my Ts? or are they still toxic. .. i guess basically the question is, do hornworms stay toxic after ingesting tomato? or does it eventually flush out.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't risk it. Many caterpillars have evolved to eat toxic plants specifically for the purpose of sequestering those toxins in their own bodies, making them unpalatable to potential predators. Some of them will retain the toxins through metamorphosis and into their adult butterfly/moth stage. I don't know if Manduca species do this, but it certainly isn't worth the risk. If you want to feed hornworms to your pets, you should buy the captive-bred ones that have been raised as feeders on a non-toxic diet.

seagull

Arachnopeon
I wouldn't risk it. Many caterpillars have evolved to eat toxic plants specifically for the purpose of sequestering those toxins in their own bodies, making them unpalatable to potential predators. Some of them will retain the toxins through metamorphosis and into their adult butterfly/moth stage. I don't know if Manduca species do this, but it certainly isn't worth the risk. If you want to feed hornworms to your pets, you should buy the captive-bred ones that have been raised as feeders on a non-toxic diet.
they were bought as feeders but i fed them tomato once as a mistake and then only fed them lettuce.. they pooped a lot.

MikeyD

Arachnosquire
Clarify. Did you feed them ripe tomatoe fruit or the leaves? If it was the fruit then there is nothing to worry about. The toxic alkaloids are in the green parts of the plant.

Theneil

Arachnoprince
I am no expert and never use hornworms personally, but i thought it was the leaves of the tomato plant that were toxic. I don't think eating thr fruit portion would cause problems.

Again I COULD BE WRONG. I am not a professional, expert, or even a gardener.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I am no expert and never use hornworms personally, but i thought it was the leaves of the tomato plant that were toxic. I don't think eating thr fruit portion would cause problems.

Again I COULD BE WRONG. I am not a professional, expert, or even a gardener.
Yeah, people eat green tomatoes all the time and most grocery store tomatoes are green but have been sprayed with a chemical to turn them red (maybe that's apples).

Edit: HRRIIGH! DAMN AUTOCORRECT!

Last edited:

jrh3

Araneae
Arachnosupporter +
i heard they were toxic to a T after being fed tomato, so i only fed them lettuce since in hopes of flushing out the tomato, can i now feed them to my Ts? or are they still toxic. .. i guess basically the question is, do hornworms stay toxic after ingesting tomato? or does it eventually flush out.
Tomatoes are fine. Its when they eat the plant itself is where they get toxic compounds from.

CJJon

Arachnokrólewicz
Yeah, people eat green tomatoes all the time and most grocery store tomatoes are green but have been sprayed with a chemical to turn them red (maybe that's apples).
It's a gas, ethylene. Tomatoes naturally produce ethylene (so do pears, bananas, avocados, etc.) when they ripen. Have green tomatoes and want to ripen them? Put them in a paper bag with a ripe banana...same thing.

The Seraph

Arachnolord
It's a gas, ethylene. Tomatoes naturally produce ethylene (so do pears, bananas, avocados, etc.) when they ripen. Have green tomatoes and want to ripen them? Put them in a paper bag with a ripe banana...same thing.
Ah, I thought it only made tomatoes look ripe, not actually ripe. Either way, informative!