Favorite True Spiders

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
or...

you can e-mail joy reed she'll tell you step-by step.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
thanks Johns...I have the book, and I could SWEAR I read it cover to cover more than once...but don't remember anything about making a frame...I'll look again!
Holley

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Maybe it's another book:confused:

Anyhoo,

Tell you what-I'll call Wade at home and ask him how to build one of them thar frames, and I'll hie my skinny little bohonky to my computer and tell the Other Arachnids forum how to build a frame,unless some inverthead(*cough* ALEX S) comes around and beats me to it.

Sound copacetic?:D

There's a bat in my house!

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually I have never built a frame, I have customized huge tupperware containers and turned them on end. Works great, kept a nice specimen of Araneus using this method.

Alex S.

Last edited:

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Originally posted by atavuss

Holley, does your S.O. know about all the escapees?
Ed

Ed,
sorry, didn't see the question!
Yes, he does, but I've really downplayed it *wink wink* !!
Sometimes, he just looks at me, then shakes his head :?
I'm clearly a complete lunatic, but he puts up with me!=D

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Alex S.
:D Well ok, Ill let you tell them this time Johns. :) Actually I have never built a frame, I have customized huge tupperware containers and turned them on end. Works great, kept an awesome specimen of Araneus trifolium using this method.

Alex S.
Hey, Holley-

Use Alex's customized huge tupperware thingie.... and then when Wade gets back to his computer at work I'm sure he'll be glad to instruct the forum on the gentle arte of framemaking.

< reading through the Schultzes' guide...:D >

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
Johns...are you sure the bat's not in your belfry instead? ahahhaha!
sorry, couldn't resist :D
SO....about the tupper ware idea....I THINK I can picture it...
thanks!
Holley

johns

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by Immortal_sin
Johns...are you sure the bat's not in your belfry instead? ahahhaha!
sorry, couldn't resist :D
SO....about the tupper ware idea....I THINK I can picture it...
thanks!
Holley

Oho! As soon as I think of something devastatingly witty , I'll be certain to retort it at you at the speed of light...

<hours go by>

Booger head.;P

Alex S.

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Tupperware Enclosure

Would you like me to tell you how to make one?? Really quite simple...

Alex S.

Immortal_sin

Arachnotemptress
Old Timer
sure Alex....I would love that :)
Johns...don't worry about the witty reply....I RARELY come up with that myself LOL!

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have made a few different frames for orb weavers...

The coolest was made from a length of plastic lawn edging. It was black plastic and about 4-5" wide and 6-7' long (they sell it in various lengths at the hardware store). I made this into a loop and and attached a platform the bottom (to catch poop and prey remains. The platform itself was just a piece of flat plasic I cut out of a storage tub lid in the process of making annother cage. Mostly I used little screws to hold the different parts together. I attached a length of lightweight decrative chain to the top and hung it from the ceiling with a plant hook. To provide web attachment points, I glued twigs and sticks around the inside surface of the loop. Since these spiders aren't that good at walking on smooth plastic, they tend to stay in the frame and build their webs using the sticks. I say "tend" because sometimes they leave, but it always seems like thats at the end of their life.

I think part of the problem is that Nephila are usually collected at the end of the season when they're most conspicuous, but also near the end. I also think they get treated like tarantulas in transit, but they're much more delicate and by the time we get them they're in pretty bad shape. In the future I will probably only purchase immature specimens unless I can collect them myself. I will probably just have to be content with our local Argiope.

Wade