Favorite tools for T husbandry

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Only things I use are wooden chop sticks to feed/remove prey, generic mister, and a space heater. Have my T's on a bookshelf near the window (so the live plants can thrive) so the space heater is the real MVP during the winter months

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
When I expirement with live plants I find it best to choose from types that require only a little light. I know there's a thread here dedicated to which plants thrive well without interfering with proper husbandry I just can't figure out how to post the link on my cell phone

cold blood

Staff member
Please explain
Yes as mentioned the sun can and will cause significant temp spikes, which can be fatal in no time. Keeping your enclosures out of direct sunlight (like a plant would require) is pretty important.

This summer we had a guy who was cleaning something and left his enclosure in the sun for less than 5 minutes and returned to a dead t....now this was an extreme case, but its an illustration of how quickly things can escalate. Also having plants in there (live) will increase humidity naturally, add sun and it can also cause condensation (a sign of a humidity spike), which can also be deadly.

Keeping live plants looks incredible (no doubt about it), but in most of our experiences, its not ideal or worth the effort as you try to balance two things (tarantula and plant) that basically have opposite requirements. Its not something you could even do with all species. Many species web plants up, others break them or dig them up, some despise moisture.

Good luck.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
Yes as mentioned the sun can and will cause significant temp spikes, which can be fatal in no time. Keeping your enclosures out of direct sunlight (like a plant would require) is pretty important.

This summer we had a guy who was cleaning something and left his enclosure in the sun for less than 5 minutes and returned to a dead t....now this was an extreme case, but its an illustration of how quickly things can escalate. Also having plants in there (live) will increase humidity naturally, add sun and it can also cause condensation (a sign of a humidity spike), which can also be deadly.

Keeping live plants looks incredible (no doubt about it), but in most of our experiences, its not ideal or worth the effort as you try to balance two things (tarantula and plant) that basically have opposite requirements. Its not something you could even do with all species. Many species web plants up, others break them or dig them up, some despise moisture.

Good luck.
That makes total sense. I should've clarified about the placement of the T enclosures. Although it is next to the window, the other side of the window is patio with an awning. The only time there is direct sunlight is in the evening (for an hour or so) as the sun is starting to set.

Although, I did make a mistake of purchasing an indoor plant that requires a medium amount of light. As pictured below, the lower portion of the plant is dying because it is not getting a sufficient amount of light

Attachments

Jeff23

Arachnolord
That makes total sense. I should've clarified about the placement of the T enclosures. Although it is next to the window, the other side of the window is patio with an awning. The only time there is direct sunlight is in the evening (for an hour or so) as the sun is starting to set.

Although, I did make a mistake of purchasing an indoor plant that requires a medium amount of light. As pictured below, the lower portion of the plant is dying because it is not getting a sufficient amount of light
There are plants that can survive with "indirect" sunlight meaning the enclosure never has direct sun rays pointed at it. The indirect light plants would work better with white or light colored walls to reflect the sun light. As to the other problems, regarding web covering leaves, humidity, etc. they will still be a challenge.

Christian Jocson

Arachnopeon
There are plants that can survive with "indirect" sunlight meaning the enclosure never has direct sun rays pointed at it. The indirect light plants would work better with white or light colored walls to reflect the sun light. As to the other problems, regarding web covering leaves, humidity, etc. they will still be a challenge.
Interesting, I'll have to look into that. I currently have a mm and mf metallica paired going on for a month now. I'd hate to disturb them just to remove the plant.

cold blood

Staff member
Interesting, I'll have to look into that. I currently have a mm and mf metallica paired going on for a month now. I'd hate to disturb them just to remove the plant.
One night together is all I do...I have 2 gravid pokies ATM.

If they are gonna do the deed, they will do it the first night for sure. By removing him while he's still alive, you can hold onto him in case the female molts or has a bad sac (or fails to drop). With a MM safe you could re-pair after a failure.

While pokies are pretty good, they can and often will eat one another...there have even been cases of the MM eating the female...wouldn't that suck......My MM vitatta got munched the following morning simply because I slept in and didn't get him out early.

If anything, him being in there would disturb her, a gravid female doesn't want to be bothered.....I wouldn't worry about disturbing anything.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
One night together is all I do...I have 2 gravid pokies ATM.

If they are gonna do the deed, they will do it the first night for sure. By removing him while he's still alive, you can hold onto him in case the female molts or has a bad sac (or fails to drop). With a MM safe you could re-pair after a failure.

While pokies are pretty good, they can and often will eat one another...there have even been cases of the MM eating the female...wouldn't that suck......My MM vitatta got munched the following morning simply because I slept in and didn't get him out early.

If anything, him being in there would disturb her, a gravid female doesn't want to be bothered.....I wouldn't worry about disturbing anything.
Hey cold blood do you have any pics of your mf P. vittata? I lurked through some of your media and couldn't find one

cold blood

Staff member
Resized952017020595153800.jpg Resized952017020595153741.jpg That first pic was actually a couple molts ago...this is all I could get from her current position, but you can see the bulging sides on the abdomen. She stopped eating a month ago, and didn't have that bulge before she stopped eating.

DrowsyLids

Arachnosquire
Yeah t
View attachment 230871 View attachment 230872 That first pic was actually a couple molts ago...this is all I could get from her current position, but you can see the bulging sides on the abdomen. She stopped eating a month ago, and didn't have that bulge before she stopped eating.
In the second pic the abdomen almost looks pear-shaped. I know little about breeding or telling if a specimen is gravid but there's my novice comment lol. Fingers crossed you get a good sac