Favorite slings you've kept

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
Hapalopus sp columbia. LP's. They are just so simple and worry free. OBT.

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I will add votes to neoholothele and versicolor. Awesome slings.

boina

Lady of the mites
You had a sac from T. cyaneolum? I am guessing you acquired a WC female and she had mated prior? Was the sac fertile? Did you get slings?

Sorry for all the questions but I have been looking for males or slings for years all across Europe and have spoken to many people about it. There is no CB slings or males to be seen anywhere, only WC sexed females for some reason.
Yes, I got a WC female from Hans Werner Auer, who I think imported all the ones that are sold at the moment. I didn't even realize it was WC at the time because I'm naive and stupid and didn't ask... And yes, I had a fertile sac with 143 slings. I sold most of them for pennies to one of the big German vendors, and traded in most of the rest for other Ts... I've 17 left at the moment :)

clive 82

Arachnoknight
Regarding specifically slings, what has been your favorite species so far? Why? Pretty simple discussion thread :D

For me, I despise slings. Even now I struggle with them given my climate. But there have been three that I legitimately enjoyed, and I'd absolutely buy more given the chance. First is P. murinus, mostly because of the webbing and feeding response. This sling isn't afraid of much, and it doesn't stay a sling for long! G. pulchripes is another joy, simply because they're sweethearts. They act like full grown terrestrials, they don't seem to understand how tiny they are. Lastly is P. scrofa because of their feeding response alone. Hands down the hardest hitting tarantulas I've ever kept.
Regarding specifically slings, what has been your favorite species so far? Why? Pretty simple discussion thread :D

For me, I despise slings. Even now I struggle with them given my climate. But there have been three that I legitimately enjoyed, and I'd absolutely buy more given the chance. First is P. murinus, mostly because of the webbing and feeding response. This sling isn't afraid of much, and it doesn't stay a sling for long! G. pulchripes is another joy, simply because they're sweethearts. They act like full grown terrestrials, they don't seem to understand how tiny they are. Lastly is P. scrofa because of their feeding response alone. Hands down the hardest hitting tarantulas I've ever kept.
Without a doubt for me my vote goes to A geniculate. As @Paiige said, quick rowing, always hungry & great feeding response. Although mine is only around 1.5 inches its already quite feisty sometimes. As others have mentioned I want to get a Neoholothele & Hapolopus sling to raise in the future.

Rob1985

This user has no status.
Lasiodora parahybana - They're easily one of the best NW species! Always eat with dramatic takedowns! Plus they're cheap and grow fast!
Brachypelma vagans - they're hardy and voracious eaters!
Poecilotheria ornata - It's my favorite Pokie!

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
In no order:

C. cyaneopubescens - Great eaters, grow fast, web like crazy, always on show and they're so bloody pretty as slings.
C. versicolor - Good eaters, make intricate web tubes and they go through so many cool colour changes as they grow.
N. chromatus - Great eaters until stuffed and once they're big enough to tackle live prey they become savage little ninja assassins (cue much hilarity at feeding time), fast growers.
G. pulchripes/G. iheringi - Almost always out, great eaters, decent growth rate considering they're Grammos.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
My Acanthoscurria geniculata sling has no idea how tiny it is and doesn't seem to be afraid of anything. It wrestles with great serpents (mealworms). It attacks water when I moisten the substrate. I can't wait to see what she is like when she is big.
Pretty much the same when they're bigger, I've had mine since she was about 4" and she's just a ravenous murder tank.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Yes, I got a WC female from Hans Werner Auer, who I think imported all the ones that are sold at the moment. I didn't even realize it was WC at the time because I'm naive and stupid and didn't ask... And yes, I had a fertile sac with 143 slings. I sold most of them for pennies to one of the big German vendors, and traded in most of the rest for other Ts... I've 17 left at the moment :)
Nothing wrong with grabbing a WC cyaneolum. You have no idea how lucky you are. It wouldnt be in the hobby otherwise. I have many females awaiting a male. I have sent you a pm.

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
These are in no particular order as I can't decide.

Pamphobeteus species of any kind will always be in my collection they are brightly-coloured eating machines anybody who as raised them know what I mean I currently have 2x nigricolor, 2x sp mascara and a machalla.

Thrixopelma are another genus I love with a passion whether slings,juveniles or adults there's so much diversity in such abundance with in this genus you have the calm curious nature of T cyaneolum and sp cajamarca, then you have the skittish fast moving T pruriens and on top of that you have the schizophrenic T lagunas that is calm oneday then the next trying for world domination.

Grammostola are another genus I love for various reasons including ease of care size variation availability. The thing with Grammostola is they actually are great eaters despite the my Grammostola won't eat threads. G pulchra are 1 of my favourite tarantulas period but I haven't raised 1from a sling but there's 1 in particular that stands out and that's G iheringi they are truly an amazing species they eat like beasts grow really fast and get pretty big.

Phormictopus are another that deserves a mention for the same reasons as Pamphobeteus sp even though my P cochleasvorax vanishes for weeks on end but who doesn't love a snail munching tarantula

Jeff23

Arachnolord
All of the species listed below are always visible, not skittish, and eat well as slings for me.
Grammostola. pulchripes
Pachistopelma bromelicola
Chromatopelma cyaneopubescens
Psalmopoeus pulcher
Cyriocosmus bertae
Dolichothele diamantinensis

Honorable Mention:
Neoholothele incei
Tapinauchenius genus
Psalmopoeus ecclesiasticus

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I love all of my Harpactira and GBB slings. They're hearty and they eat anything that's put in front of them. My H. pulchripes sling is pretty much always out and about for me to see, which I hope is a trait it retains in to adulthood.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
I love all of my Harpactira and GBB slings. They're hearty and they eat anything that's put in front of them. My H. pulchripes sling is pretty much always out and about for me to see, which I hope is a trait it retains in to adulthood.
H. pulchripes is perhaps at the top of my list for OW. I am hoping that when I am ready for OW that the availability is a little better.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
H. pulchripes is perhaps at the top of my list for OW. I am hoping that when I am ready for OW that the availability is a little better.
They're a great starter OW. You'll love it. Lots of web, interesting burrows, and a very healthy appetite.

Paiige

Arachnobaron
They're a great starter OW. You'll love it. Lots of web, interesting burrows, and a very healthy appetite.
This is good to know. My hubby is obsessed with them but we're holding off on OW Ts for a bit.

Matttoadman

Arachnoknight
I was thinking on this recently. My Hapalopus sp. Columbia large is great. Always has its burrow dug along the side of its enclosure, if it's not visible, it's molting. It will it anything that's not bigger than its cephalothorax and abdomen combined. And it doubles in size each molt.

IMG_3587.JPG

BMQ

Arachnopeon
I think my favorite sling is B. Vagans. It's not really a good looking t but it is so badass. Mine is an absolute beast and eats more than any t that I have. I pretty much feed it everyday, and it attacks with the same enthusiasm and savagery every time. Nothing cooler than seeing a cricket suddenly disappear down into the substrate with no warning whatsoever. It literally looks like the substrate swallowed it.

My gbb sling is also a favorite. Really cool colors, never hides, and eats everything.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I would have to pick out a 100 favorites for many different qualitys and I don't have time for that.. In general I love raising slings,I guess I'm just a nurturer by nature..

I will second Eulers K on the joys of owning a P.scrofa.. I recieved one as a freebie and had planned on giving it away but it's overall boldness and curiosity along with it's awesome feeding response had me hooked after a few days..

Nolimit2far

Arachnopeon
I really enjoy the LP's for obvious reasons, however I recently acquired a 2" or so C. marshalli of all things. (not a huge old world fan).. but this gal has quickly become my favorite Ts. She is active almost every time I look. In the 2 weeks I've owned her, she has already built a neat and visually appealing network of tunnels. She is so extremely fast. Was almost my first escapee, and she is abnormally aggressive towards me, but I really feel like we are connecting. <3

MetallicArachnid

Arachnosquire
GBBs I love how they wrestle with their food and the heavy webbing is also nice, they've got pretty coloration as slings too not as nice as the adults but better that the bland looking brown slings of a lot of species.

RepugnantOoze

Arachnosquire
G. Pulchra is my fav so far. My lil black death piggy. When ever I open its enclosure it hides then turns right around waits for its dubia. Those adult colors are gonna rock my world I know it.

Crazy fast at this stage too.