I’d like to add this wild thing to list !! Mighty large and impressive
:vamp: Ahhhhh. One badass bug I’d say it’s a terror free favorite.​

Last edited:

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I’d like to add this wild thing to list !! Mighty large and impressive
:vamp: Ahhhhh. One badass bug I’d say it’s a terror free favorite.​
Cool video. Not a fan of the narration but what can you expect nowadays. Its all about the salesmanship. Give me David Attenborough any day.

Speaking of Attenborough, I just watched the deep ocean episode from "The Blue Planet II" those things down there are just incredible.

bunnythetarantula

Arachnopeon
This thread is a little old, but my favorite invert is probably land hermit crabs! They were one of my first exotic pets as a kid. They got me really interested in pets and proper care and enrichment. They're super neat animals. They are very active (if not slowly dying from bad care...) and I love that they explore everything new that I put in the tank. They have favorite foods and will run to the food dish and carry big chunks away to eat.
This is Sakura, a very beautiful hermit crab I adopted in 2013!

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Which one do you like the best and why? I personally like tarantulas the best because they have so much variety. There's just so many colors and patterns to choose from it's amazing. Scorpions are a close second for me. While they don't have the variety of colors and patterns that tarantulas offer if you're talking about general looks i'd have to give it to scorpions. They just look so epic. Centipedes are a distant third for me. Don't get me wrong they're still cool but not as cool as tarantulas and scorpions and to be honest they're kinda creepy. I may still get one eventually but right now i'd rather focus on tarantulas and scorpions. Only time will tell. True spiders I like the least. I just see no reason to bother with them since tarantulas are so much cooler in my opinion. Also I fully realize since i'm putting this under the tarantula forum rather than the scorpion, myriapod, or true spider forums that most people are probably gonna vote tarantulas but that's ok since I like tarantulas the best myself :).
Wow how my opinion has changed since I made this post way back. Scorpions are definitely my favorite now.

kadupul

Arachnosquire
I like hermit crabs, roaches, and millipedes because they can usually be housed with others of the same species without bloodshed and the social interactions add another layer of interest for me.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
I like hermit crabs, roaches, and millipedes because they can usually be housed with others of the same species without bloodshed and the social interactions add another layer of interest for me.
There are some scorpions and a few tarantulas (such as the Socotra Island Blue Baboon/M. balfouri) that can live communally, but yeah, most tarantulas can't and a good number of scorpions can't either.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
My favorite invert is the one that got me into the hobby and made me interested in keeping exotic pets, Grammostola pulchra.

Matt Man

Arachnoprince
I always tell people Lobster and Crabs are just huge aquatic roaches
1) Live in crevices and mostly in the dark
2) Sneak out at night to find whatever fell to the floor

I'm Ts all the way, Scorpions #2

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
My favorite invert is the one that got me into the hobby and made me interested in keeping exotic pets, Grammostola pulchra.
It will very likely be the same way with me & the first invert I intend to get, H. arizonensis (Desert Hairy Scorpion). And I find G. pulchra super cool! I just wish they weren't such (on average) slow growers. That's why I lean A. geniculata for first T. Faster growth rate, get huge and are voracious eaters.

TechnoGeek

Arachnosquire
It will very likely be the same way with me & the first invert I intend to get, H. arizonensis (Desert Hairy Scorpion). And I find G. pulchra super cool! I just wish they weren't such (on average) slow growers. That's why I lean A. geniculata for first T. Faster growth rate, get huge and are voracious eaters.
You can make them grow quicker, mine actually been growing very fast but not without some intervention😉

But A geniculata are fantastic Ts, and they do make a good first spider. Nothing wrong with them neither.

Isopods others

Arachnoknight
You've not got an invert yet? At least catch something from the wild to fill the void :)

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
Wait, you've been saying this since 2018? What's the hold up? 😂
Yup, I dabbled in the idea many years ago but it isn't exactly a new idea of mine. The thought merely reentered my head cause my dad talked about getting me a Mexican Red Knee for Christmas (I know, bad idea to get inverts as gifts) from Backwater Reptiles (terrible vendor) and I told him that was a bad idea. Nevertheless, it caused the idea to reenter my head and now I'm back and DEFINITELY wanna get an invert once it warms up, though I am now more interested in the idea of getting a scorpion at this point which is why I wanna get a scorpion first (Desert Hairy) & a tarantula second (White Knee) a few months later. Only reason people are now seeing this old thread again is cause I had my new account merged back into my old one under my new username and I decided to essentially "grave dig" my first two threads from 2018 just once on here as an update of the sorts.

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
I like tarantulas the most since theyre a very diverse species and are like little architects that arrange their habitat and build web tunnels.

ScorpionEvo687

Arachnoknight
You've not got an invert yet? At least catch something from the wild to fill the void :)
I live in NE Ohio so really about the only thing I could catch especially this time of year would be a small to medium sized wolf spider (sure ain't no HUGE wolf spiders like the H. Carolinensis around here, I'll tell you that much). I wish I lived somewhere like Arizona. Then maybe I could actually go out and catch something REALLY cool like an H. arizonensis, A. chalcodes or S. heros (or polymorpha). 🙂

Wolf135

Arachnoknight
I live in NE Ohio so really about the only thing I could catch especially this time of year would be a small to medium sized wolf spider (sure ain't no HUGE wolf spiders like the H. Carolinensis around here, I'll tell you that much). I wish I lived somewhere like Arizona. Then maybe I could actually go out and catch something REALLY cool like an H. arizonensis, A. chalcodes or S. heros (or polymorpha). 🙂
We got a bunch of cool animals here in AZ, it's not uncommon to find giant wondering spiders and king snakes.