Favorite Freebie

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Has anyone else been surprised with a freebie that has become one your favorites?

Ironically, our B. Vagans who came with our B. Albo (the most shy T we own) are turning into the calmest of our group, and they are super beautiful to boot.

We have a spastic little B. boehmei who came with our G. Pulchra last year, and I'm excited to that little dude watch grow. Its colors are just starting to show up. :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Nhandu chromatus
Chilobrachys huahini (I wouldn't say a favourite but I like her a lot more than I expected to)

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
G. pulchripes; never really wanted one, and was annoyed with it for a while because it was always hidden, but as it has grown I’m really taking a liking to it.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B. albopilosum. She's a favorite because she was my very first tarantula, back when I wasn't altogether certain that I even wanted a tarantula - and certainly couldn't understand why anybody would want more than one! I was just starting out teaching classes about bugs and spiders for elementary school students and I wanted a tarantula for my classroom - sort of. (I still had serious reservations about owning a big, hairy spider!) Like many newbies, I walked into the expo asking the typical dumb questions like "Which species is the best one for handling?" One of the vendors very patiently answered all my questions, recommended B. albopilosum as a good species - and then gave me a sling and the little acrylic enclosure she was in as "a gift to my classroom." So technically, she was a freebie - just not a freebie with purchase.

Unfortunately, I believe that company is no longer in business and hasn't been around for years - guess that's what happens when you give away the inventory? It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure he was from GBU Enterprises. I will always be grateful to him for getting me started!

Last edited:

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
O. sp. 'Cebu'

It was my first OW and it just so happens to web up everything.

REEFSPIDER

Arachnobaron
I've got a free aphonopelma marxi female, a free Kenyan sand boa, and a free betta fish. I love them all just the same as my purchased animals. I was also given a free Pac man to try and rehab before but he was too far gone.

0311usmc

Arachnobaron
I recently just got my first freebies after years of buying tarantulas. For Xmas I got 3 cool slings from my girlfriend, after I opened them up she says she has a couple more tarantulas for me. The look on her face made me think something was up. Then she hands me 4 B.albo slings, needless to say I wasn't very happy. She bought 3 old worlds how in the heck do you throw in 4 B.albos with 2 P.ornatas and an H.mac? It's all good though I found homes for them all and they are well taken care of.

Attachments

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Then she hands me 4 B.albo slings, needless to say I wasn't very happy. She bought 3 old worlds how in the heck do you throw in 4 B.albos with 2 P.ornatas and an H.mac?
Better than the other way around, I ordered a B. emilia and got given a free C. huahini :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Ellenantula

Arachnoking
I know my B albo and G pulchripes were freebie slings (not sure, but think C fimbri was also a freebie).

Hard to pick a fave but I'll go with G pulchripes. He's grown so large so fast (well, in 4 years) but he still bulldozes, flips his water dish over -- like a giant imp and practical joker almost. A cutie pie with an excellent feeding response!
If I ever have a bolter/escapee -- it will be G pulchripes for sure! :)

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
My favorite freebie is a rescued tarantula.

One day I got a text from a friend with a picture of a Lasiodora parahybana asking if I wanted it. Turns out it had been found in a recently vacated apartment. Someone left her behind when they moved and she was still soft from having molted. As the cleaning crew tried to find someone brave enough to squish her a friend of my friend stopped them and took the spider home but his wife wouldn't let him keep her in the house. So I drove about 45 mins to get her before the snow hit. Poor thing was dehydrated and leaking on one leg yet still able to walk around. We got her home and boy was she thirsty in her new home. She's close to a 7 inch legspan now and one of my chillest spiders.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
I quite like my Phormictopus auratus that came as a freebie with some GBBs. I named him Glenn Danzig and he is quite dramatic.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
What kind of people do you know who give you that sorta stuff for freebies! That's awsome! Where did you buy them from?
Depends on the seller and how much you buy on quantity/cost from them. Or you can build trust with breeders to get freebies more often.