Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Liquid Amber ( sweet gum )

• Carrotwood

• Total voters

Joxer

Arachnopeon
Please let me know the type of leafs you prefer to use for your lsopods and Millipedes as leaf litter and to mix in the substrate. If you don't see the type you like pleas advise it in the comments.

Thank you.

Joxer

Arachnopeon
Please let me know the type of leafs you prefer to use for your lsopods and Millipedes as leaf litter and to mix in the substrate. If you don't see the type you like pleas advise it in the comments.

Thank you.
If you like oak please identify the type of oak. I'm in San Diego and we have coastal live oak, Canyon live oak and black oak.

Beedrill

Arachnoknight
I use oak, specifically Bur Oak, and Shumard Oak. Both should be in your area, though I'm not sure how common. Mainly the reason for me using oak, is that they are so common here, but these two also have fairly distinctive leaves and that helps.

Here are some leaf Pics I found on Google images. (NOT MINE)
shumard oak leaf.jpg bur oak leaves.jpg

EDIT: Actually I looked up their ranges, and they both miss San Diego. Sorry about that. But literally any oak will do just fine.

Aquarimax

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I use scrub oak, maple, golden wood, callary pear, cottonwood, and a little walnut, approximately in order of my preference.

Jurdon

Arachnoknight
I use oak (blanking on the type rn, i got it from pangea reptile), willow oak, and whatever the isopods in my yard like to munch on! Yard leaves tend to be broken down much quicker than leaf litter I’ve bought so I like to have a mix.

Myrmeleon

Arachnoknight
I use red oak (Quercus rubra), white oak (Quercus alba), and red maple (Acer rubrum) for my isopods, only because they tend to be really common around here.

davehuth

Arachnoknight
Pin Oak and White Oak grow on my property in abundance (New York state, USA), and another Oak (either Black or Red, I can't keep them straight) is a short walk away on a nearby forested trail. All millipedes and isopods I keep eat them and seem to thrive on them, including millipede species whose native habitats have no oak trees of any kind.

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I enjoy magnolia leaves.

I've also used live oak from my tree.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Are California black oak, Quercus kelloggii leaves good? This is the only oak species I have any access to within reasonable driving distance.

Gaherp

Arachnofarmer
Old Timer
I use multiple species of oak. Other than the mulberry I love to use magnolia and olive tea tree leaves. The olive tea tree leaves are stout and have the same appearance as a magnolia just a lot smaller.