Favorite Arboreal Species

Bragg52

Arachnopeon
I am just curious to see what your favorite arboreal species are! Based on temperament, feeding response, looks, and really any reason why they are your favorite to keep!

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
I'm gonna go against the grain and say Tapinauchenius/Pseudoclamoris. I love this genus(genera) for the colors and behavior to be found. I personally haven't had any problems with their speed. You just gotta treat them like their Old Worlds.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Last edited:

lostbrane

Arachnobaron
Typically I would say any Poecilotheria species but I really want to see my O. schioedtei grow up. So, I'm going with that.

moricollins

Arachno search engine
Old Timer
Carabena laeta: blue spiderlings, red juveniles, big eaters, a bit of an attitude, fiesty arboreal

Moebius

Arachnopeon
Species? Oof, I have trouble picking out a genus let alone a singular species. Though I can easily say I do have some that I consistently gravitate towards. To avoid a pretty big list, I'll just say Poecilotheria in general (hard to pick just one favourite) for OW, and Psalmopoeus for NW (again, hard to pick just one), with plenty of other great options for genera and species. A more common P. regalis doesn't fail to impress with a nice sized female with their gorgeous. Neither does a beefy Psalmopoeus cambridgei, and either tend to be quite low price and fairly accessible to get (a big, green fuzzy, muppet of a spider. Don't ask me why I say muppet, something to do with their fuzz and color lol). You don't need to break the bank in either genera to have something impressive, but can certainly spend more for rarer species or otherwise diversify easily to have a range of appearances and coloration.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Another vote for Psalmos - they're a bit of a "jack of all trades" as far as tarantulas go, IMO. Got a little bit of everything; attitude, activity, looks, appetite, growth rates, ease of breeding, AND they have no urticating hairs.

Runner-up would have to be Poecis. I'm quite fond of my Avics and their similar relatives as well, but I haven't had but a couple.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
For me Psalmopoeus and Iridopelma are even for first place. Just plain gorgeous spiders with attitude.

Dman

Arachnosquire
I absolutely love my P. cam. She is beautiful and a lethal hunter. I also love my pokies and they are stunning creatures. However, let's look over the big picture. Avic's come in a beautiful range of colors and sizes. They mostly do not require the huge tall enclosures that a mature pokie or Psalmopoeus species will for sure need. They are fairly often on display for the most part. They do not have the tendency to disappear for long periods of times like some of the Psalmopoeus. They are a breeze to rehouse or clean their enclosures. For newer T owners Avic's are easy to maintain as long as they don't try to over humidify the enclosure and have good cross ventilation.

Moebius

Arachnopeon
I guess I'm an arms dealer benefiting from all sides of the conflict: I have quite a few Poecilotheria and Psalmopoeus, but I also have quite a few Tapinuachenius and Pseudoclamoris. My original list was quite a bit more expansive, but decided to keep it briefer. Hell, I'm finding if it's an arboreal without urticating setae, I've been gravitating towards them more and more as time has went on.