Fat Tailed Gecko or Leopard Gecko?

JFaustus

Arachnopeon
Hi all, I’ve had this guy for about four years and I’m just now questioning, due to my girlfriend, whether or not this Leopard Gecko is actually a Fat Tail. C8AA0203-BCDA-4F62-89E4-8154D4BC049D.jpeg

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
That's a cold Leopard Gecko. The skin typically darkens when they are not warm enough. What are your temperatures like in the enclosure?

JFaustus

Arachnopeon
That's a cold Leopard Gecko. The skin typically darkens when they are not warm enough. What are your temperatures like in the enclosure?
It’s round 80 in my house, I can put a lamp on him, but I’ve had him for a while and he’s always been that color, regardless of heat lamp.

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
It’s round 80 in my house, I can put a lamp on him, but I’ve had him for a while and he’s always been that color, regardless of heat lamp.
Do you have a heat mat under his tank? Belly heat is much more vital to Leopard geckos than overhead. The belly heat helps them digest food easier. The "ground" temperature for him should sit around 89-91° F His color should be a brighter yellow, he looks like he has an awesome pattern to him :)
Sorry, I know you didn't ask to be critiqued on your care or anything. I'm honestly only trying to be helpful. I don't want to come off as rude in any way.
To definitively answer the original question, yes you have a Leopard Gecko and not an African Fat Tail :)

JFaustus

Arachnopeon
Do you have a heat mat under his tank? Belly heat is much more vital to Leopard geckos than overhead. The belly heat helps them digest food easier. The "ground" temperature for him should sit around 89-91° F His color should be a brighter yellow, he looks like he has an awesome pattern to him :)
Sorry, I know you didn't ask to be critiqued on your care or anything. I'm honestly only trying to be helpful. I don't want to come off as rude in any way.
To definitively answer the original question, yes you have a Leopard Gecko and not an African Fat Tail :)
I don’t, however now that you say it, I used to, but due to the racks I now keep them on I can’t use them. And it’s totally okay, I really need to keep them optimal, you’re not coming off as rude. And thank you for helping!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
I don’t, however now that you say it, I used to, but due to the racks I now keep them on I can’t use them. And it’s totally okay, I really need to keep them optimal, you’re not coming off as rude. And thank you for helping!
Ok good, I know sometimes I can seem that way so I wanted to clarify. I'm guessing the racks have solid, flat shelves? If so, you can use the felt furniture pads to raise the tank up in the corners. Before I got my wire shelving I used them. I had to stack about 4 together, but it worked.
Aside from the darker skin, your Leo looks pretty healthy. And lasting 4yrs plus is a good sign :)