Fat little G. pulchripes digging a hole to China?

How many Ts would it take to dig a hole to China?

• Total voters

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire

So my fat little G. pulchripes started digging this hole last week and I've got a question lol :)

Obviously he's not digging a hole to China, but this is the back left corner of his enclosure and at first it looked like he was going STRAIGHT down. Now that I've examined it fully, I can tell that he's not only made himself a little ramp to breach his plump belly on but it also looks like he's moving allllll the sub from that corner out to the front of his hide. He also appears to be webbing, or trying to... he's certainly not the best webber I have but dang it, he does try.

Several angles here so you can see he's dug down about 2 good inches and he's showing no signs of slowing. This enclosure is originally meant of arboreals I think, but it's a really nice brand new tank so I used it for this spider. At the suggestion of another user, I built the substrate up quite a lot inside the tank to ensure he doesnt have too much vertical space and can't fall and hurt himself... but now that he's become a Tonka truck bulldozer, I have concerns about the loose substrate eventually caving in on him? I've unwittingly given him a generous 6 inches of substrate to work with so he has plenty of room to just keep tunneling if he wants to...

I mean, it's well packed EcoEarth all the way down, but I keep it fairly dry in there for him so I had a brief moment where I imagined him going too far down and getting buried in a brown avalanche of coco fiber?? Can he get hurt by burrowing too far and having a substrate cave-in or am I panicking over an impossible scenario that poses no harm to him?

Another angle of the tank

Last edited:

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I like that you aren't a 'substrate Scrooge' at all! I love this, seriously :)

One of the thing I can't stand of the arachnids keeping are 'substrate Scrooge/s', damn... :angelic:

Don't worry at all, T's know best when it comes to that, btw. I've never had a burrow "collapse" so far, and my T's are basically 70% pet holes.

A note: the third option of your poll (btw the right one) should be: "12 Goddess*"

* 0.1 Pelinobius muticus PBUH (Peace Be Upon Her)

Leila

Arachnobaron
@Chris LXXIX, you will be happy to see someone who is Not a substrate scrooge. :)

I think it is normal for your T to burrow and dig tunnels. From what I have viewed in relation to terrestrial Ts in the wild, they make their burrows in the ground. They secure these with silk webbing, which helps the dirt from imploding on them.

Your T will be ok in the coco fibre.

Edit: AGGHH, you beat me here, Chris!! :rofl::rofl:

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
I like that you aren't a 'substrate Scrooge' at all! I love this, seriously :)

One of the thing I can't stand of the arachnids keeping are 'substrate Scrooge/s', damn... :angelic:
Hahah thank you! :) All my terrestrial T's have at least 4 inches of sub, just in case they feel like digging. Who am I to say they shouldn't dig a wonderful burrow! Have at it, little ones... I just didn't realize that Taco had decided to dig directly down like hes going for oil. Let me know when you hit the black gold, kiddo. And molt, while you're at it.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Hahah thank you! :) All my terrestrial T's have at least 4 inches of sub, just in case they feel like digging. Who am I to say they shouldn't dig a wonderful burrow! Have at it, little ones... I just didn't realize that Taco had decided to dig directly down like hes going for oil. Let me know when you hit the black gold, kiddo. And molt, while you're at it.
You did the right thing :)

A lot of people, including long time keepers, sometime tend to not consider well an important detail. This detail, is: 'you' never know, nor 'you' can know, if a Theraphosidae (not necessarily an OW pet hole) feel the need/wants to burrow a bit.

This is why is always important to offer several inches of substrate.

Brava, maggiefiasco :angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
over size enclosures seriously encourage not only extensive burrowung, but also extensive hiding. I experimented with 100s of slings, 150 of which were pulchripes, the results were staggerring....literally every one in over size enclosures dug a burrow and hid away like the unabomber. At the end of the experiment the ones in over size enclosures were all 1/2-1/4 the size of the ones kept in smaller enclisures.

Now yours is a juvie, so its not going to obsessively hide like a sling, but it will spend a great deal of time birrowing and moving sub.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
over size enclosures seriously encourage not only extensive burrowung, but also extensive hiding. I experimented with 100s of slings, 150 of which were pulchripes, the results were staggerring....literally every one in over size enclosures dug a burrow and hid away like the unabomber. At the end of the experiment the ones in over size enclosures were all 1/2-1/4 the size of the ones kept in smaller enclisures.

Now yours is a juvie, so its not going to obsessively hide like a sling, but it will spend a great deal of time birrowing and moving sub.
Yes but there's nothing wrong my man, why T's has to be necessarily visible when we can enjoy the pleasure to see lots of dirt and burrows?

There's nothing better for the eyes than see holes, burrows, tunnels, digging etc if you ask me :)

cold blood

Staff member
Yes but there's nothing wrong my man, why T's has to be necessarily visible when we can enjoy the pleasure to see lots of dirt and burrows?

There's nothing better for the eyes than see holes, burrows, tunnels, digging etc if you ask me :)
I didn't say there was anything wrong...I specifically pointed out that this observation was for slings and didn't really apply to her juvie other than it would indeed be expected to dig more frequently with more room.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I didn't say there was anything wrong...I specifically pointed out that this observation was for slings and didn't really apply to her juvie other than it would indeed be expected to dig more frequently with more room.
Uhm... ok. For a minute I was under the impression that you didn't like at all the best Theraphosidae enclosures which are, basically, always a "no spiders visible, tons of dirt, and a hole/tunnel".

Screw visibility, I say. Who need/wants visible T's, after all? :)

It's all about ninjutsu T's, the plague of ninjutsu T's! :kiss:

A burrow, and nothing else to see: now this is what a man needs to see :angelic:

cold blood

Staff member
Uhm... ok. For a minute I was under the impression that you didn't like at all the best Theraphosidae enclosures which are, basically, always a "no spiders visible, tons of dirt, and a hole/tunnel".

Screw visibility, I say. Who need/wants visible T's, after all? :)

A burrow, and nothing else to see: now this is what a man needs to see :angelic:
haha, no...im all for extra sub once ts get bigger...but not for slings....i mentioned it because the extra room=more digging was something i observed in that experiment that applied to this t.....the rest was just supplimentary info.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Chris ... Youre Italian dude :happy::happy:
Of course u like Holes ;)o_O:rolleyes:
False my dear friend from Viking-Landia :)

I'm 101% of 'politically correct' and the word/term 'hole/s' doesn't remind me at all necessarily and always about walking, talking, 0.1 Homo sapiens at all.
No matter their 'Gucci' bags or fashion smartphones :kiss:

I'm a gentleman, basically, and an old school one: the ones that smoke, in pure gently 'cold' Winter, in front of the chimney with a good glass of Glenlivet, a pure mixture of 60% Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend + 40% Dunhill 'Early Morning', with my dear and lovely 60% wool 40% Cashmere blanket straight on my legs, reading an old book about the Italian Kingdom and Fascism, happy but sad at the same time, no matter, because the world is taken over by modernity und insanity.

I'm reaching my 40, after all. I need moderation :troll:

maggiefiasco

Arachnosquire
Hahaha i love all the replies to this thread! You guys are comedy gold and so informative, thank you so much!!!