fat frogs?

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
I like Ts A LOT. but saw some fat frogs once and though they were cool, when I was growing up I was a normal kid running to the creek to catch frogs, I know they dont like getting touched cause they breath from their skin and I dont handle Ts either. I was wondering whats the best most easy and simple fat frog?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
thats a fairly fat frog, I think they resemble me well might do it. whats the difference between a normal on and a pixie one??
those are two different species. Pixie frogs are known as the giant african bullfrog aka, the Pyxicephalus adspersus. Then there's the pacman frog aka. the Ceratophrys species. The care for both is different but a little similar. But the pacman frog is the better choice for a beginner.

Tenebrarius

Arachnoangel
those are two different species. Pixie frogs are known as the giant african bullfrog aka, the Pyxicephalus adspersus. Then there's the pacman frog aka. the Ceratophrys species. The care for both is different but a little similar. But the pacman frog is the better choice for a beginner.
sorry i meant to say fantasy.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
sorry i meant to say fantasy.
fantasy frogs are hybrids of the pacman frog and the surniame frogs bred together. They look a little similar but are completely different. Fantasy frogs are mule hybrids, meaning they cannot breed nor have offspring. Sadly they also don't grow as big as the pacman frog. But rather are on the short side from the surniame frog genetics. But honestly, I think the regular pacman frogs are a 100 times better than the fantasy.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
Pacman frogs are those in the genus Ceratophrys. I'm pretty sure fantasy pacman frogs are C. ornata x C. cranwelli. Most species are supposed to be relatively easy, except for C. cornuta, which almost everyone has trouble with.

Pixie frogs are in a completely different family, but the life cycle is similar. The genus is Pyxicephalus. Both genera experience an aestivation period during the dry season in habitat--think of it like hibernation--but I believe neither needs it for successful long term care in captivity. Male pixie frogs are far larger than females, and female pacman frogs are larger than males.

Behavior is fairly similar for both--they partially bury themselves in damp dirt, wait, and eat whatever comes their way. Pacman frogs are the easier species to start with, no doubt.

Another fat frog, and one of my favorite animals, is the budgett's frog, which has an obligate aestivation (probably) and is entirely aquatic during its active season. However, I would not start with that species.

I think toads are great too, and they are large and fat, but I think that's not what you're looking for.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Pacman frogs are those in the genus Ceratophrys. I'm pretty sure fantasy pacman frogs are C. ornata x C. cranwelli. Most species are supposed to be relatively easy, except for C. cornuta, which almost everyone has trouble with.

Pixie frogs are in a completely different family, but the life cycle is similar. The genus is Pyxicephalus. Both genera experience an aestivation period during the dry season in habitat--think of it like hibernation--but I believe neither needs it for successful long term care in captivity. Male pixie frogs are far larger than females, and female pacman frogs are larger than males.

Behavior is fairly similar for both--they partially bury themselves in damp dirt, wait, and eat whatever comes their way. Pacman frogs are the easier species to start with, no doubt.

Another fat frog, and one of my favorite animals, is the budgett's frog, which has an obligate aestivation (probably) and is entirely aquatic during its active season. However, I would not start with that species.

I think toads are great too, and they are large and fat, but I think that's not what you're looking for.
Correct, on most of info but the Fantasy pacman frog, its a breed between C. cranwelli and C. cornuta. Not the C. ornata.

schmiggle

Arachnoking
correct, on most of info but the Fantasy frog, its a breed between C. cranwelli and C. cornuta. Not the C. ornata.
That makes sense. They're probably bred for the eye horns, which are big in cornuta.

Keeping cornuta is a goal of mine, but I will definitely wait until I have more experience.

basin79

ArachnoGod
White's tree frogs are also known as the dumpy frog.

Obviously they don't have the bulk of the horned or pixie frogs but they are chunky monkeys.

Schledog

Arachnosquire
Chubby frogs are another VERY chunky frog. They aren’t very active though, they mostly stay half buried in substrate.