1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fat butts vs Skinny butts

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by Toddydog, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnopeon

Advertisement
    So I've seen other people post pictures of their B. Hamorii's and most of them have big fatty butts. Mine however has a little skinny butt. I thought at first, well maybe it's because he's juvenile but other juvenile hamorii's I've seen have fat booties too. Then I thought maybe it' because he's a male but I found nothing really on the subject. I mean he's not starving, but then again I've only had him for 3 weeks so he could have been.
    Anyways any insite on the different booty sizes would be appreciated. I'm really curious.
    20171230_102518.jpg

2. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnolord Active Member

Montreal
    Abdomen size and gender aren't related. It has everything to do with feeding, and how recently your spider molted. It will plump up once you start feeding more.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnopeon

Makes sense. Knowing his personality and the fact that he molted a bit before I got him. He's not a big eater and has refused many meals from me so far but I've gotten him to eat a couple times including tonight so hopefully he'll have a big, full, hairy butt in the future.

4. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnolord Active Member

Montreal
    No doubt man. Start feeding heavily and you'll get there soon enough, you should add a small water dish into that enclosure as well.

5. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnopeon

Oh, yeah that's not his enclosure, just what he came in. He's got a small bottle cap which he drinks from quite often. And a tiny half log he uses to hide.

6. sasker

sasker Arachnoknight Active Member

Also remember that some individual tarantulas are picky eaters. Perhaps your tarantula does not like the prey items you provide. You could try different kinds of prey of different size. I have a Lasiodora parahybana that dislikes anything without legs (meal worms, morio worms) or anything that moves too much, so I need to crush a dubia's head and she circles slowly around it for a few hours before digging in. This does not mean she is not hungry, she is just easily spooked. "Take a LP", they said. "They eat everything," they said. Yeah rights... :meh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WoofSpider

WoofSpider Arachnosquire

I really hope my Pseudhapalopus sp. "blue" grows out of this habit (you know, in a few decades with how slow they grow). All of my other tiny Ts will take cut up mealworm pieces, but not this one! The only thing I've gotten her to eat is cricket legs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnopeon

Yeah I figured I might try that. I ordered some small roaches online so hopefully that does the trick.

9. sasker

Red runners seem to do the trick. They are soft, small and not so intimidating. Not even for a 6 inch LP! :hilarious:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Storm1028

Storm1028 Arachnopeon Active Member

USA
    Really? My M. balfouri hates B. lateralis (Red Runners), she threat postures and beats every roach to death:banghead::meh:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

Keep in mind that there is no more commonly refused prey item than a roach....red runners being the exception....ts treat them like crickets IME.

The best prey for picky eaters is a cricket.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. cold blood

cold blood ArachnoGod Active Member

I find the specimen to be particularly interesting. It has the outward appearance of a hamorii....yet the carapace shows the distinctive dark V of an emelia...

13. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnodemon Active Member

Ummmm, they do have legs :p:hilarious:

I thought it could actually be a misidentified B. smithi (ex annitha).

annitha_smithi.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. sasker

Compared to the barbed, violently kicking legs of a dubia with a crushed head, they hardly do. My LP does not waste enough time on morio worms to find out if they have legs. As soon as she recognise it, she backs away.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnopeon

Well when I bought him I bought him as a Smithi although people made a point of telling me the Smithi (which i find is a nicer name) is just a misidentified Hamorii. So yes he is a Smithi but name changes and all so I'm not really sure what to even call him anymore.

16. ccTroi

ccTroi Arachnosquire Active Member

Get an A. genic, P. cam, or P. cancerides next :happy:
    They provoke awesome feeding response! The thing I constantly worry is a possible infestation (but i still own a colony - a small colony :smug:).
    My balfouris are the pickiest eaters
    :shifty:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The Grym Reaper

If purchased recently from a reliable source as a B. smithi (ex annitha) then it's probably a genuine B. smithi.

B. smithi (ex annitha) is only just starting to become more available since it was discovered that the tarantula sold in the hobby for several decades as "B. smithi" was actually B. hamorii and that the tarantula sold as "B. annitha" was in fact the true B. smithi.

The thing is that not all new hobbyists know about the name change (and not all dealers bother to update the names) so they often either:

- get sold a B. smithi that is actually B. hamorii;
    - have had a B. hamorii since before the name change and still call it a B. smithi (either out of ignorance or stubbornness);
    - get a B. hamorii and just refer to it as a B. smithi anyway.

I'm betting someone just assumed you fell into one of those categories and just told you that you had a B. hamorii without checking, it happens.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Toddydog

Toddydog Arachnopeon

Probably. Yeah if what you said is true than he most likely is a true smithi. I got him from Backwater reptiles as a smithi, around Christmas time.
    Thank you for clarifyng, now i can go back to calling him a smithi.

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. The Grym Reaper

From what I've heard about Backwater Reptiles (I live in the UK so never ordered from them but they have an awful reputation) you're lucky that you even got a tarantula from the same genus let alone the species you actually ordered lol.

That being said, it does actually appear to be a B. smithi, you'll know for sure as it gets larger, B. hamorii has more black on the carapace and a small black stripe in the knee markings (as seen in the image I posted earlier on).

20. sasker

My Pamphobeteus sp. Mascara makes up for my wimpy LP, but these three are definitely on my wish list. Thanks!