fastest tarantula in the world?

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
People often ask me which species I think is the fastest tarantula. There are plenty of quick ones, but I generally answer that any of the Tapinauchenius are the fastest. In my experience, they are the fastest of the arboreals, which - as a group - you would expect to be fastest. However, after potting up all of these Australian tarantulas I would have to say that a 1 inch Selenocosmia crassipes is so fast it is almost unreal. I have no idea how fast they will be when they are 9 or 10 inches, but these yearlings are just a blur. I pot them over a large sweater box and when one falls in it can run around the entire perimeter in about one second flat! :worship: I can't wait until they are huge, full of attitude, and stridulate loud enough to be heard across my shoppe!

Cheers, Michael

PhilR

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
LOL, thanks for that Michael. Mine moulted about a week ago and needs rehousing!

Sounds like it'll be fun {D

Nate

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Chilobrachys fimbriatus is about 1.5” right now and that sucker is fast. I had to re-house it last night and it kept dart backing forth between the old enclosure and new one like crazy.

“Run all you want just don’t bite!” :D

brachy

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hi

The murinus is fast but faster is H. huahini, S peerboomi, Poecilotherias, E. cyanognathus.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
MJ, Do they have the attitude at 1 inch even? If so, they might give P murinus a run for its money as far as attitude goes.

Snipes

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hehe, B. albopilosum sling. Faster than my OBTs and avics!

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
the chilobrachys ive had are very fast.i was also really surprised at how fast my e.murinas was.quick little slings

NickS1004

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My GBB is pretty fast... 0-60 in 4.6 seconds and 13.3 in the quarter mile

ok not really, but it seems to catch crickets before they hit the substrate

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
LOL, you should see an adult in full flight!! They are probably the one species of Australian tarantula I pretty much refuse to handle, size, speed and attitude are not to be messed with!!

Steve

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had quite an experience last night with my Ceratogyrus bechuanicus... might not be as fast as those mentioned before... but it's the fastest I have personally ever seen...

Frame 1: In enclosure
Frame 2: On arm
Frame 3: On chest
Frame 4: On floor

We caught the little bugger once it stopped at the door... it's doing fine so dont worry about it... and Im doing good too thank you :p

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Steve Nunn said:
LOL, you should see an adult in full flight!! They are probably the one species of Australian tarantula I pretty much refuse to handle, size, speed and attitude are not to be messed with!!

Steve
beauty!hopefully will be able to get one of these little guys asap

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
Umm... this thread wasn't started to open a discussion on what each of you thinks is the fastest of the tarantula spiders you have in your own collection. There already has been at least two threads devoted to that, probably more, which you can find using the search function. This thread was solely for me to share the fact that based on keeping around 150 different tarantula species over the past 30 years, and who knows how many tens of thousands of specimens, I think these Aussie Selenocosmia are the fastest.

They are faster than Taps, which means they are definitely faster than Psalmopoeus or Poecilotheria, which means they are significantly faster than any Chilobrachys, Ephebopus, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I specialize in arboreals/Asians and have hundreds of Poecs, Psalms, and Taps... they're quick, no doubt; especially the Taps, but I have never seen a 1-inch Tap move at anywhere near the speed of these 1-inch Oz tarantulas.

Cheers, Michael

Donovan

Arachnopeon
Well micheal if you would stop feeding your T freakin cocaine and speed maybe it would be a little slower. Also get him off the damn roids. It may be appealing but when it gets big enough to eat you then youll be sorry.

j/k, i have no idea how fast these spiders are and I dont want a fast one. They scare me.

bananaman

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
oh no... does this mean we cant post now? are we just supposed to listen?

i know it wasnt a debate to find which one was the fastest... but whats wrong with sharing our experiences? :)

Michael Jacobi

ARACHNOCULTURE MAGAZINE
Old Timer
bananaman said:
i know it wasnt a debate to find which one was the fastest... but whats wrong with sharing our experiences? :)
Absolutely nothing. I was just making the point that threads with people sharing their experiences already exist and are more appropriate for similar discussion. I would have posted in one of them if I was trying to elicit more opinions. Instead I was just expressing my awe at the speed of these Australian species and informing others since these spiders are thus far almost unknown in arachnoculture. I was also hoping Steve would chime in with his experience with wild and captive-bred adults of these species - as he did.

Best, Michael

Scorp guy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Michael Jacobi said:
Absolutely nothing. I was just making the point that threads with people sharing their experiences already exist and are more appropriate for similar discussion. I would have posted in one of them if I was trying to elicit more opinions. Instead I was just expressing my awe at the speed of these Australian species and informing others since these spiders are thus far almost unknown in arachnoculture. I was also hoping Steve would chime in with his experience with wild and captive-bred adults of these species - as he did.

Best, Michael
I fully respect your post MJ, but IMO you should have posted in your first post that "nobody is allowed to post in my thread" or heck, even had it locked if thats still too much.

my N. chromatus sling is by far the fastest i've ever seen. It ran up my elbow, onto my back, and all around, until, after 5 minutes, it decided to move to the front, where i captured it....funny experience really.

"edit myself"

"threads with people sharing their experiences already exist and are more appropriate for similar discussion."

Well maybe you, yourself should've posted in THOSE threads, rather than telling us "no no"