Fastest Striking Venomous Snake

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
The male Sydney A.antarcticus is getting to be very beautiful and he can easily take hopper size mice. He is also a very "enthusiastic" feeder. Female is still being tease fed and has no interest in food until she is hit on the head with it for 5 minutes. I hope she will catch up soon.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is my most probably pregnant girl:

And here is the male Sydney red feeding on a hopper:

[YOUTUBE]QjpovjtHiJM[/YOUTUBE]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is my problem feeder Acanthophis antarcticus female on some solid food:

She still needs to be teased to eat unfortunately but getting to larger food items should help her to grow up fast so we can get over it.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is another "Valley of the Death" photo picturing 3 Acanthophis species I keep:

Left to right: Acanthophis sp. "Dajarra Desert" , Acanthophis sp. "Northern Flood Plains", Acanthophis antarcticus

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Every time you post makes me want my venomous license more and more. That antarcticus is stunning.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Every time you post makes me want my venomous license more and more. That antarcticus is stunning.
Every time I hear someone say that I think of what a huge pain in the arse it is keeping the bitey things compared to the squeezy ones. A 2 minute clean up job becomes 15, the vet charges by the millisecond apparently using the maintenance costs of an A380 in the calculations etc.

Last edited:

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
Every time I hear someone say that I think of what a huge pain in the arse it is keeping the bitey things compared to the squeezy ones. A 2 minute clean up job becomes 15, the vet charges by the millisecond apparently using the maintenance costs of an A380 in the calculations etc.
Which is why I stay with the squeezy ones. I stare at his pics and think, why not? Then I remember all that's involved and think, "I think a nice Sulawesi female would be much better...". ;)

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
But all of that is fun! :)

The Snark

Old Timer
But all of that is fun! :)
But it takes a certain mentality that not everybody has. It's very similar to living in an environment with a lot of firearms. Everything is loaded and dangerous, always, and you have to maintain a constant level of vigilance. There simply is no sloppy or lazy or casual. No slack ever. Just like the several hundred gun owners who manage to shoot themselves with their own guns each year, trouble WILL happen and you are constantly trying to prevent or avoid it..

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
But it takes a certain mentality that not everybody has. It's very similar to living in an environment with a lot of firearms. Everything is loaded and dangerous, always, and you have to maintain a constant level of vigilance. There simply is no sloppy or lazy or casual. No slack ever. Just like the several hundred gun owners who manage to shoot themselves with their own guns each year, trouble WILL happen and you are constantly trying to prevent or avoid it..
Absolutely. I was reflecting on this the other day. I never feel safe in my snake room, I am constantly checking to see if any of the cages are left open, if all of the snakes are in their respective places etc. This behavior can be learned to a degree but a person naturally doesn't give a damn, he/she shouldn't keep venomous snakes.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is another "Valley of the Death" photo picturing 3 Acanthophis species I keep:

Left to right: Acanthophis sp. "Dajarra Desert" , Acanthophis sp. "Northern Flood Plains", Acanthophis antarcticus
All three in a single video:

[YOUTUBE]fUEXLYMwzc8[/YOUTUBE]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is my most probably pregnant girl:

So after shedding today, my girl dropped a huge load and one unfertilized ova:

She is still plump and this is a single egg, so I am hoping she has some fertilized eggs inside her.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
I got a pair of PNG Acanthophis laevis. Here is the female:

These are a lot more "defensive" compared to their mainland cousins.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Sad video this week... Unfortunately, my A.hawkei female gave birth to 15 additional unfertilized eggs plus a perfectly developed yet dead baby... Oh well...

Here is a video explaining the situation with an interesting ending:

[YOUTUBE]BrkYm8HntAc[/YOUTUBE]

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is a long feeding video of the hawkei female. She is taking down rats to get back to her previous weight:

[YOUTUBE]ZNqxQTORnlU[/YOUTUBE]

And here are a couple pictures of the Acanthophis laevis pair from Aseki, PNG:

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is the A.laevis pair. The male just shed and is in full breeding mode but the female needs to shed first.

Rowdy Hotel

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I enjoy seeing other peoples' hots. Unfortunately, I think I've developed too many bad habits keeping harmless snakes. For the time being, at least, I think I'll keep a "pets can't kill me" policy :)

The Snark

Old Timer
I enjoy seeing other peoples' hots. Unfortunately, I think I've developed too many bad habits keeping harmless snakes. For the time being, at least, I think I'll keep a "pets can't kill me" policy :)
Sensible. My sentiments exactly. Find yourself getting sloppy or developed bad habits it's time to leave the dicing with death stuff to others.

Najakeeper

Arachnoprince
Here is an example showing why we need to be careful...

[YOUTUBE]ybOAC8LhzDI[/YOUTUBE]