1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fastest spider in the world?

Discussion in 'True Spiders & Other Arachnids' started by Ratmosphere, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Ratmosphere

Ratmosphere Arachnoprince Active Member

Advertisement
    Anyone know what the fastest true spider in the world is?

2. The Snark

The Snark Dancing with the enemy gods Old Timer

Over what distance? Actually, it's academic. Salticids win hands down. I read they share a similar encephalitic sack similar to bats in order to cushion the brain from G force damage. Their speed upon take off, jumping, being a one shot deal without additional locomotion involved could get close to the speed of sound.

Additionally, no other spider employs the full force of all leg musculature simultaneously in one coordinated effort/direction. Applying so much energy yet lacking the aerodynamics to keep the spider firmly on a surface, it would be impossible for a salticid, or any other spider for that matter, to not go airborne. Compare to 'dragster' type vehicles that require wind wings to keep it from taking off like a plane.
    The spider essentially becomes a projectile like a bullet from a gun.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoangel Active Member

4. miss moxie

miss moxie Arachnoprince Active Member

Oh yeah! I always forget about those silly spiders. They look absurd, though scientifically speaking it's fascinating.

5. schmiggle

schmiggle Arachnoangel Active Member

I'm a big fan, myself. Plus I think most people look a little absurd running fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Ctenidae and Sparassidae have insane speed, but it's only over a limited distance. Same with Eratigena. Oxyopidae can also move with pretty extreme speed, but over a very very limited distance. Once you throw physics in there though I agree with Snark on salticids taking the cake.

7. Smokehound714

Smokehound714 Arachnoking Active Member

Socal
    Agelenidae are the fastest of all when it comes to actual running speed, though it may be a tie compared to aglaoctenis, a neotropical wolf spider genus that also builds a funnel web. They basically have a mental map of their web, so when something is at the far outer edge, they can explode with tremendous speed over a considerable distance. it's pretty damn impressive.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. The Snark

The Snark Dancing with the enemy gods Old Timer

An interesting aspect. The equivalent of Usain Bolt training on his particular, unique choice of track his entire life. The spider entirely reliant upon it's speed and intimate knowledge of the race track, enabling it to hunt prey that could readily escape any similar situation and spider. Just visualize any spider making a dash at a housefly 6 or more inches away.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2017 at 10:57 PM
  9. basin79

basin79 Arachnoprince Active Member

My Heteropoda lunula is the fastest spider I've ever owned. She's like shit off a shovel when the mood takes her.