Fastest grower in the hobby now

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Selenocosmia can go from 5mm to 110mm in 12 months. I'd imagine they'd be up there with the quick growers

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I have an H. pulchripes who I got as a .5 incher last March and he matured in 10 months. He has been my fastest grower for sure.
My H. pulchripes has gone from a 0.25” spec to a 1” sling in about 2 months. I can finally see that adult colouring on the legs!

korg

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't know why, but my Lasiodora is one of the slowest growers in my entire collection. Food and temps are not an issue, so it must be a genetic thing.
I don't think you're alone in this... Lasiodora is often mentioned as a particularly fast growing genus, but that's not been my experience for parahybana or difficilis. Granted I haven't kept a TON of them, but my current female difficilis, for example, has taken three years to go from a tiny, tiny sling to maybe 4.5". Definitely not a notably quick rate of growth. What's the quickest anyone here has actually had a Lasiodora male mature? Maybe I'm judging from insufficient experience and I've just had bad luck with them growth wise (certainly possible!), but I kind of suspect that they have the reputation for growing very quickly for the same reason they're often said to be giants. Their sacs are huge and without these superlatives they're a pretty "regular" tarantula. Nothing against the genus (I still like keeping them, obviously), but let's keep it real, yo. Now that I've said this someone is probably going to bust out their insane LP growth rates on me.

Andrew Clayton

Arachnobaron
I don't think you're alone in this... Lasiodora is often mentioned as a particularly fast growing genus, but that's not been my experience for parahybana or difficilis. Granted I haven't kept a TON of them, but my current female difficilis, for example, has taken three years to go from a tiny, tiny sling to maybe 4.5". Definitely not a notably quick rate of growth. What's the quickest anyone here has actually had a Lasiodora male mature? Maybe I'm judging from insufficient experience and I've just had bad luck with them growth wise (certainly possible!), but I kind of suspect that they have the reputation for growing very quickly for the same reason they're often said to be giants. Their sacs are huge and without these superlatives they're a pretty "regular" tarantula. Nothing against the genus (I still like keeping them, obviously), but let's keep it real, yo. Now that I've said this someone is probably going to bust out their insane LP growth rates on me.

My LP that's in my DP is 4" and it has grew to that In about 6 months I got her at about 1" maybe 1 1/2" she had just moulted when I got her and moulted once in my care about a month aago and more than doubled in size

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
My fastest grower is my Sericopelma sp Azuero Panama female. I got her as 2" juvenile mid May 2018 and after 3 molts in my care she is now around 6". Before I rehoused her after her last molt when she was spread out she could touch the sides of her 6"x8" enclosure.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
I don't know why, but my Lasiodora is one of the slowest growers in my entire collection. Food and temps are not an issue, so it must be a genetic thing.
I've found the same, I have 2 LPs and an L. klugi and they are all slow growing compared to the rest of my collection. My B. albiceps is growing like a weed compared to the Lasiadoras, and it's supposed to be a very slow grower. They do put on a good bit of size with each molt though.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Lasiodora is often mentioned as a particularly fast growing genus
Both of the females I had (sort of, I still have one but she's sold pending payment) were growing at around the same rate as my A. geniculata female (similar length moult cycles and growth per moult)

My B. albiceps is growing like a weed
Mine is the most painfully slow-growing Brachy I've ever dealt with, every other Brachy I got around the same time (except my B. albo Nicaragua) is at least double the size of her.

draconisj4

Arachnobaron
Mine is the most painfully slow-growing Brachy I've ever dealt with, every other Brachy I got around the same time (except my B. albo Nicaragua) is at least double the size of her.
Perhaps I should have said growing like a weed for a Brachypelma, lol. Seriously though, I got my B. albiceps at 1/2" in May 2018, it's molted 4 times and is 2" now. Compare that to my B. hamorii also 1/2" that I got in October 2017, molted 6 times and is maybe 1.75".

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Perhaps I should have said growing like a weed for a Brachypelma, lol. Seriously though, I got my B. albiceps at 1/2" in May 2018, it's molted 4 times and is 2" now. Compare that to my B. hamorii also 1/2" that I got in October 2017, molted 6 times and is maybe 1.75".
I've had my albiceps since July '17 and she's not even 2" yet :rofl::dead:

On the flipside, my emilia is actually growing faster than my G. pulchripes, and my hamorii female has passed the 5" mark surprisingly quickly (considering they're supposed to be slow growers).