1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Fast' way to make springtail colony explode?

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by antinous, Nov 3, 2018.

1. antinous

antinous Phormic-Addict Arachnosupporter

Advertisement
    Are there any tricks for getting a springtail colony to explode in numbers? I originally bought one deli cup with a starter colony and have put some in two other ones to make sure I have a back up. Only problem is, I'm quite impatient haha. Is there any way to make their population explode? Would keeping them around 80 F make them breed faster?

Thanks

2. WildSpider

WildSpider Arachnobaron Active Member

USA
    My experience with springtails is limited to the local ones where I live. Assuming that they are similar though, mine exploded in a pickle jar that had vegetation inside. The substrate (which is just dirt) is very moist in that jar too. These springtails exploded during the summer I believe it was and have still been doing well even during the fall despite the fact that they are in cooler temps. I have tried moving some of these springtails to other kinds of containers too (plastic ones) but so far, I still think the best results have been in the pickle jar.

3. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnosquire Active Member

Add tannerite to the container and shot it with a rifle.... :angelic:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

Fish flakes seemed to make mine go nuts.

5. Greasylake

Greasylake Arachnoprince Active Member

Texas
    I was wondering what to do with my container of fish flakes, I'll try this in some starter cultures today.

6. Hardus nameous

Hardus nameous Arachno FNG Arachnosupporter

Kansas
    I see swarms of them on leftover feeder bits on sopping substrate in the amblypygi enclosures.
    The substrate is or is mostly Zilla Jungle Mix in those enclosures.

7. Adam96

Adam96 Arachnosquire

mine love rotting feeders

8. The Mantis Menagerie

The Mantis Menagerie Arachnopeon

USA
    First, start a red wiggler colony in a plastic shoebox. Then, after a couple weeks, leave some food in until it molds. Finally, expect population explosion of springtail in a week at most. In other words, they seem to like anything rotting. I have found my biggest population spikes when the really fuzzy, white, and probably toxic mold is on the food.

9. Dennis Nedry

Dennis Nedry Arachnobaron Active Member

Get a completely sealed container, fill it with rotting wood and compost, wet it, add springtails, add a few oranges or apples sliced in half and wait. Add garbage and dead feeders periodically

10. Bob Lee

Bob Lee Arachnosquire Active Member

What if mites show up instead of springtails... :angelic:

11. The Mantis Menagerie

The Mantis Menagerie Arachnopeon

USA
    I have never seen mites in my enclosure. Plus, I didn't intend for someone to actually copy this exact setup, I just was pointing out how easy springtails are to culture. I will admit that I could have gotten lucky with springtails instead of mites.