Fast growing beginner Ts?

Speg

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
A'right, so I'm open to arboreal suggestions as well.
I would also like any T you would classify as docile or semi-docile.

How fast does G.rosea grow?
I've always found that my Avic Avic or Avic Versicolor were willing to eat on their scheduled day. Both are really cool little T's and generally pretty cheap.

Avinlea

Arachnopeon
Thanks Chris11, however I am not actually the OP, seems like I actually hijacked this thread by reviving it a week or so ago.
I for one am happy you revived it. It is a great thread. My list grows almost everyday. It is so great to have the knowledge and experience of other keepers accessible. I read something here, which leads to further searching on this board and other information gathering.

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
I for one am happy you revived it. It is a great thread. My list grows almost everyday. It is so great to have the knowledge and experience of other keepers accessible. I read something here, which leads to further searching on this board and other information gathering.
. . . thanks Avinlea, your post reflects my feelings.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
What are some beginner tarantulas that grow fast? I am getting a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens after Christmas. (My mom said that I couldn't get them before then because I just ordered a new centipede).

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
If you're up for the challenge, Phormictopus cancerides. However, they usually are pretty packed full of attitude once they hit a certain size so if you're not up for a large spider that doesn't hesitate to throw threat postures, I'd say skip it. Lasiodora parahybana and Acanthoscurria geniculata come to mind as well, but the hairs are a bit irritating and their feeding response is extraordinary. But honestly, I'd say a Brachypelma vagans is a great first choice. So far the one I have keeps a consistent molt cycle (on par with my Pamphos) so far and puts on a decent amount of size after each molt.

PrimalxTyrantula

Arachnosquire
Acanthroscuria geniculata
Mines growing like crazy good inch each molt.

P.minuris (orange bitey thing)
I know people will say absolutely not for a beginner but they are extremly hardy. Easy to care for. Grow quickly.

But...
They are demonically fast. Really defensive, potentially painful bite. Old world...

Id have to say also a p.irminia.
Arboreal also old world and really fast, can jump. Slightly more intricate care.

Those are the ones i currently own so my knowledge is growing but check out,
Dark den
Exotics lair
On youtube they have a huge collection and really knowledgeable and fun to watch :)

antinous

Pamphopharaoh
Old Timer
I know people will say absolutely not for a beginner but they are extremly hardy. Easy to care for. Grow quickly.

But...
They are demonically fast. Really defensive, potentially painful bite. Old world...
100% painful bite that won't be fun and I'm sure the OPs parents wouldn't be happy with such a potent species being kept by a new T owner. You can always get them further down the line, no need to jump right into them.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Any Lasiodora sp.
Any Nhandu sp.
Grammostola actaeon/iheringi
Brachypelma vagans and Brachypelma albopilosum (Honduran/Hobby Form) are decent growers as well.

The best YouTuber to check out would be Tom Moran (Tom's Big Spiders), he has a blog and I think he has a podcast as well, dude really knows his stuff anyway.

Literally the polar opposite of a beginner species. Even if you disregard their speed and temperament, a bite will mess you up (potentially for weeks after).

Intermediate species. Fast, can be defensive, stronger venom than other new worlds (similar symptoms to OW venom but less severe and usually lasting no more than 48hrs).

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
A

But...

Arboreal also old world and really fast, can jump. Slightly more intricate care.

Those are the ones i currently own so my knowledge is growing but check out,
Dark den
Exotics lair
On youtube they have a huge collection and really knowledgeable and fun to watch :)
wut lol

l.parahybana was my first t. i've had it since january and it's about 3.75-4"

Last edited by a moderator:

basement pets

Arachnosquire
Thank you all! My parents said that they might let me get another tarantula once I have my first one for a while so, this is really helping me out!

FrmDaLeftCoast

Arachnosquire
The best YouTuber to check out would be Tom Moran (Tom's Big Spiders), he has a blog and I think he has a podcast as well, dude really knows his stuff anyway.
Have to 100% agree with this statement. While Exotic Lair was the 1st to peak my interest in this hobby. Tom's Big Spiders "sealed the deal". And yes, he does have a podcast. There about 30 minutes long, and usually has a new one up every Sunday.

basement pets

Arachnosquire
Have to 100% agree with this statement. While Exotic Lair was the 1st to peak my interest in this hobby. Tom's Big Spiders "sealed the deal". And yes, he does have a podcast. There about 30 minutes long, and usually has a new one up every Sunday.
WOW! I was literally just looking for a podcast about inverts or more specifically, tarantulas! I have seen videos on youtube he posted but I had no idea that he had a podcast! Thanks!