Fast growing beginner Ts?

cold blood

Staff member
Aaah Tim, it seems as if I underestimated the size, I think our Lasiodora have grown at similar rates.

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
i second GBB (chromatopelma cyaneopubecens, (sp?)) super hardy, simple husbandry, colorful at every stage, moderate growth rate even for a terrestrial, entertaining, active, "semi-aboreal", lots and lots of webbing!

also i am always an advocate of the epitome of t keeping: grammostoal pulchripes! super super hardy, pretty much "noob proof" as it gets, awesome coloration as an adult/ juvie, moderate growth rate (for a grammostola, atleast), active (loves to move substrate, mine could be characterized as a little bulldozer, always moving piles of sub around, burying his water dish... ugh lol :hurting:)

these two species are pretty hard to mess up, they do their own thing 99% of the time, which is to say they are good at spidering lol.

also, welcome to AB! dont sweat bein a newbie, most people posting her are still, with the exception of a few vets (theyre easy to spot) a couple tips for ya: ask losts of questions never stop learning, but always search the forum first! and dont get trolled, you will regret it, promise. mistakes will happen, learn from them. this is such a great hobby you made a good choice of pets. err on the side of caution always.

:lowrider:

:cool:

In my quest for the right “first” Tarantula I stumbled on this board and have actually made a few friends and managed to learn quite a bit about keeping tarantulas in general. My list of desirable Ts grows daily and the GBB as well as the Chaco golden knee are among the top contenders. Thanks for the welcome to AB. Sweating being a noob is not an issue and yeah, I get what you mean about recognizing the vets and the trolling issue, having been a moderator on a 100,000+ member site for a quite while one develops a sixth sense about these things, Sir! I am getting excited about choosing this as another hobby.

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
Well now it seems as if it is time for an update on this epic thread. Due to current availability of on-line stock, the shape of my budget and my impatience I believe I will be starting off with a Grammostola pulchripes, an Aphonopelma chalcodes and a Brachypelma albopilosum. Once I get these slings unpacked, situated and settled in I believe I'll take the plunge and be ordering a LP and a GBB. After exchanging a few emails I placed an order for the aforementioned slings with Jen at Heartland Invertebrates, wish me luck.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Well now it seems as if it is time for an update on this epic thread. Due to current availability of on-line stock, the shape of my budget and my impatience I believe I will be starting off with a Grammostola pulchripes, an Aphonopelma chalcodes and a Brachypelma albopilosum. Once I get these slings unpacked, situated and settled in I believe I'll take the plunge and be ordering a LP and a GBB. After exchanging a few emails I placed an order for the aforementioned slings with Jen at Heartland Invertebrates, wish me luck.
Fast growing T's is the title...and you're getting a Brachypelma albopilosum sling??
I have no experience with A.calcodes or G.pulchripes, but a B.albo is a slow grower,although a very cool looking T imo,I've got 4 of
them,3 female juvies and a sling. The juvies are 2,5 years old and have DLS of ~10 cm..and still have some growing to do before tthey'll mature.
Very good beginner Ts but fast growing? Not so much.
Congratulations on your new addiction though :embarrassed:

cold blood

Staff member
B. albos (and vagans) are much faster growers than their relatives. Albos are also typically much better eaters, especially as slings.

I would consider them one of the faster growing "beginner" ts.

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
Fast growing T's is the title...and you're getting a Brachypelma albopilosum sling??
I have no experience with A.calcodes or G.pulchripes, but a B.albo is a slow grower,although a very cool looking T imo,I've got 4 of
them,3 female juvies and a sling. The juvies are 2,5 years old and have DLS of ~10 cm..and still have some growing to do before tthey'll mature.
Very good beginner Ts but fast growing? Not so much.
Congratulations on your new addiction though :embarrassed:
The G.pulchripes is my choice for a rather fast growing large T, I chose the other two because I think I would like them in my "collection"

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The G.pulchripes is my choice for a rather fast growing large T, I chose the other two because I think I would like them in my "collection"
I have a 0.1 Grammostola pulchripes, rescued two years ago from annoyed owners, and she's, incredibly, a class high strung Lady :)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
[QUOTghaedrus, post: 2433836, member: 112805"]The G.pulchripes is my choice for a rather fast growing large T, I chose the other two because I think I would like them in my "collection"[/QUOTE]
Very good choice then :).
I also like how you not only fell for my lure to buy 3 but actually topped it with buying another 2
..lol!

Chris11

ArachnoBat
B. albos (and vagans) are much faster growers than their relatives. Albos are also typically much better eaters, especially as slings.

I would consider them one of the faster growing "beginner" ts.
Yeah, my albo and vagans slings are about 2 twice as big as my smithi and auratum slibgs, and all their sacs dropped within a week of eachother.
Good acquisitions OP!!!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Yeah, my albo and vagans slings are about 2 twice as big as my smithi and auratum slibgs, and all their sacs dropped within a week of eachother.
Good acquisitions OP!!!
Smithi and Vagans grow even slower?:eek:

Phaedrus

Arachnopeon
Good acquisitions OP!!!
Thanks Chris11, however I am not actually the OP, seems like I actually hijacked this thread by reviving it a week or so ago.