False Widow ID?

WS1995

Arachnopeon
This little critter has been pondering around the ceiling of my room for the last few days, initially I didn't pay much attention to it, however I did start to wonder if it was the infamous False Widow spider.

Having read online "horror" stories from bite victims, I didn't particularly want to leave it unsure, as have had a spider swing down from a web onto me in the middle of the night whilst I was in bed (in the dark) on my laptop, didn't want a repeat of that with this nasty bitey spider.

Sure enough, i'm no expert but I'm virtually certain this is a false widow, it has a black centre body, red/orange legs, and a small but slightly bulbous body with not quite a fully developed skull on the back with a sort of ellipsis marking at the front.

Where I live (South East of London, on the London/Kent border) there's a lot of these little fellows around.

Can someone please confirm this is a correct ID for said critter?

Photo attached, thanks.

Attachments

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
This little critter has been pondering around the ceiling of my room for the last few days, initially I didn't pay much attention to it, however I did start to wonder if it was the infamous False Widow spider.
Yes, likely the noble false widow (Steatoda nobilis).

Having read online "horror" stories from bite victims, I didn't particularly want to leave it unsure, as have had a spider swing down from a web onto me in the middle of the night whilst I was in bed (in the dark) on my laptop, didn't want a repeat of that with this nasty bitey spider.
Despite all the horror stories about false widows, they are not medically significant and very unlikely to bite.

Little Grey Spider

Arachnoknight
Looks like a male S. nobilis to me. As Ungoliant said, they are not considered to be medically significant.

WS1995

Arachnopeon
How can you differentiate gender just by looking at that photo?

Length or any specific characteristics?

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How can you differentiate gender just by looking at that photo?

Length or any specific characteristics?
A mature male tends to be thinner, with a proportionately smaller abdomen. Mature males also have bulbous palps (the pair of appendages next to the head), which are used to transfer sperm to the female.

click thumbnail for link to original

Mature females (and juveniles of both sexes) have a typical cobweb spider build, with a large, round abdomen.

click thumbnail for link to original