Explaining the hobby

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
I've told some family and friends about me getting T's and I always get the same question "Why would you do that, you can't even hold it" and I really don't have an answer. I have no clue why i'm spending 50$ on a spider and not feeling bad. Why do we have a strange attraction to T's? And how would I explain how I love large (sometimes dangerous) tarantulas and am not scared of them.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
I don't tell anyone anymore.

Edit: friends I've had for years don't know about it. Not something I care to bring up, ever.

Last edited:

Nepenthe56

Arachnopeon
I also use the fish comparison. And I can usually find at least one T that the person will acknowledge is kind of pretty.

aphono

Arachnobaron
Why try to explain? If you like, want some and can take care of them by yourself.. that's all the reason any one needs to know. If for some reason that's not good enough, they are welcome to look at the tarantulas if you wish to show or just change the subject.. tell them to go away if they persist in trying to get you to justify your own interests.

Deb60

Arachnosquire
R
I also use the fish comparison. And I can usually find at least one T that the person will acknowledge is kind of pretty.
Only problem with our Ts is people are happy enough to come to our house if you keep fish , but very often won't come if you keep Ts , even if I cover them up if they have. Real fear of them !

keks

Arachnobaron
That's why I don't tell to anyone about my spiders: "WHAT!! You keep this disgusting and venomous animals? Your are disgusting too, I never visit you (and don't want to have contact to you)!"
(Oh. What a pity. But I hate visitors anyway, so it is not the problem :angelic:.)

Deb60

Arachnosquire
That's why I don't tell to anyone about my spiders: "WHAT!! You keep this disgusting and venomous animals? Your are disgusting too, I never visit you (and don't want to have contact to you)!"
(Oh. What a pity. But I hate visitors anyway, so it is not the problem :angelic:.)
I'm lucky really cuz most family members are ok with them ( they know they won't escape) or like my daughter keeps them herself , it's just a friend I've known for 40yrs , but it's ok I do have to worry about housework , or cooking a meal for her as I always go to her place

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I tell you my Chris LXXIX view :)

There's nothing to explain IMO.

Why waste freaking time to explain something to others, even if those others are our friends/best friends? Do 'you' question your friends/other people you know... passions, tastes, whatever? No, of course.

Family (since family IMO is the most important thing, just like health) is another story. Family needs respect. Family shares with us life. Good, bad moments, no matter.

It's mandatory to talk, to have a dialogue, in such case.

Anyway, my/our (me & bro) excuse when, as teens, started the T's adventure in 1992 was: "a heroin junkie tried to bribe us on the train", meanwhile one of our friends well hid the enclosures in the wardrobe. Until one freaking day our grandmother heard the crickets song (in Winter, lol) when cleaning the room when we were at school.

We were punished for scaring mommy about the 'heroin junkie' story. Spiders were ok. No more wardrobe. Talking is everything in life :)

Chris LXXIX Extreme Wisdom mode turned 'off', now.

keks

Arachnobaron
My daughters and their life partners know, but not anyone else. Unfortunately they don't share my passion, but only accept it.

Leila

Arachnobaron
You know, it's kinda funny: one of the first questions to come out of a lot of people I know's mouths when they see me is "How are the spiders doing?" I always get a kick out of that, because I wonder if they actually give a crap or if they think that is the only thing I want to talk about. :rofl:

Last edited:

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
You know, it's kinda funny: one of the first questions to come out of a lot of people I know's mouths when I see them is "How are the spiders doing?" I always get a kick out of that, because I wonder if they actually give a crap or if they think that is the only thing I want to talk about. :rofl:
They're so exotic to most people, I think they genuinely like talking about them after they get past the repulsed stage. Everyone I know throws a dramatic fit when they first find out about them, but the second they come over again, they go straight to my room looking at them and asking questions.

Ghost56

Arachnobaron
My reasoning is because of how different and exotic they are. It's almost like owning a tiger or something for me. Two completely different animals, but I'm sure some will get what I mean.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
I still tell people, and here's why: It's like an instantaneous test of their character.

I've met people who tell me they're scared of spiders but are still curious or at the very least accepting. I've also met people who tell me they're scared of spiders and think that keeping them intentionally is *expletive* crazy.

You can really learn a lot about someone by the way they react to the tarantula hobby, honestly.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I don't feel the need to justify my tastes to anyone.. If they are a guest in my house and are intrigued by my Tarantulas I will go into as much detail as they want.

If they are rude while expressing there opinions on what I do in my home they are told to leave and never invited over again.

I've never really been one to discuss my interest with anybody that I'm merely an acquaintance with.. The few times that a stranger has found out about my Ts and showed distaste I walk.. I don't have patients for negative people.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
I've not really needed to explain. Family and friends have seen me with bugs/snakes/exotic animals since I've been able to walk. I've had people bring in snakes to work ask me what kind they are. I've never made a big deal out of Ts (or any of the other exotic animals I've kept) and most others haven't as well. Then again, I'm not one to flip out or get huffy if someone tosses the "If it was in my house I'd burn the thing down to make sure it didn't get out alive" comment. Not everyone is into the same things I am. I know a lot of people with cats and they know I dislike them. I wouldn't burn the house down if a cat was in it but I would not care to live with one. I don't dislike them enough to throw away a perfectly good house when I can just throw the cat outside and eventually get all that hair off everything.

I've shown a lot of photos to people at work over the years and most thought they were pretty. I'm going to chalk that up to my photo taking skillz though. :D I often have them ask about my Ts and how they are doing.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I've not really needed to explain. Family and friends have seen me with bugs/snakes/exotic animals since I've been able to walk. I've had people bring in snakes to work ask me what kind they are. I've never made a big deal out of Ts (or any of the other exotic animals I've kept) and most others haven't as well. Then again, I'm not one to flip out or get huffy if someone tosses the "If it was in my house I'd burn the thing down to make sure it didn't get out alive" comment. Not everyone is into the same things I am. I know a lot of people with cats and they know I dislike them. I wouldn't burn the house down if a cat was in it but I would not care to live with one. I don't dislike them enough to throw away a perfectly good house when I can just throw the cat outside and eventually get all that hair off everything.

I've shown a lot of photos to people at work over the years and most thought they were pretty. I'm going to chalk that up to my photo taking skillz though. :D I often have them ask about my Ts and how they are doing.
How on hell you can dislike those little ninja called cats? They are 'of lovely' :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
"I am building an army of eight legged murder tanks with which I plan to take over the world, muhahahaha"

or

"Why do you have several shelves full of vinyl figures with oversized heads that you don't ever take out of their boxes?"

or something to that effect.

Rhysandfish

Arachnoknight
"Well, Sharon.. why do you have a cabinet full of dishes you don't use and useless angel figurines?"
This is.....HILARIOUS! my grandma HATES spiders but she has at least 200-300 bells, yes Bells in her house. I'll have to use this one on her sometime :D.