Experiences with rehousing temperatures?

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Hello all!
So this thread isn't about what temperature to keep Ts in, but about something that I've read somewhere about "cooling down" fiesty Ts before rehousing. I read it when i was looking into care for P murinus, and it stated that cooling down the spider briefly in cooler temps (19-21° celcius if I'm not mistaked) can slow them down much like how a reptile can be sluggish when in lower temps. Is this true? Does it pose a danger for the T? I was very skeptical when i first read it, and i still am, can anyone give their opinions on this?

Thank you in advance! Maman

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
Keeping Ts at lower temperatures will slow them down, but If you are not confident in rehousing a T you have, you shouldn't have it.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Hello all!
So this thread isn't about what temperature to keep Ts in, but about something that I've read somewhere about "cooling down" fiesty Ts before rehousing. I read it when i was looking into care for P murinus, and it stated that cooling down the spider briefly in cooler temps (19-21° celcius if I'm not mistaked) can slow them down much like how a reptile can be sluggish when in lower temps. Is this true? Does it pose a danger for the T? I was very skeptical when i first read it, and i still am, can anyone give their opinions on this?
Yes, cooler temperatures will slow them down, but they would need to be cooled far lower than 19°C for it to make a difference in their mobility. It is something that needs to be carefully controlled in order for it not to be a risk to the spider's well being. You can't really accomplish that unless you have the proper tools and environment. I would never, ever, recommend that someone try to cool down their tarantula to the extent that it puts them into a coma-like state without the proper training. I wouldn't recommend gassing them for the same reasons.
If you're concerned about rehousing, then I would watch some of Tom Moran's videos on YouTube to get some pointers on how to minimize the risks.

MainMann

Arachnosquire
Yes, cooler temperatures will slow them down, but they would need to be cooled far lower than 19°C for it to make a difference in their mobility. It is something that needs to be carefully controlled in order for it not to be a risk to the spider's well being. You can't really accomplish that unless you have the proper tools and environment. I would never, ever, recommend that someone try to cool down their tarantula to the extent that it puts them into a coma-like state without the proper training. I wouldn't recommend gassing them for the same reasons.
If you're concerned about rehousing, then I would watch some of Tom Moran's videos on YouTube to get some pointers on how to minimize the risks.
Now this is what I'm talkin bout! Very informative, and it sorta confirms my wearyness on the subject matter. Thank you for the info dude! And i myself has never done this and most likely would never do it seeing the risks. Because really a cool head, fat reflexes and staying calm is all that you need when rehousing a T!

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hello all!

True
Likely

Not worth doing.