Experiences with Aphonopelma eutylenum

tjs028

Arachnopeon
Hello all I am currently making a short list of T's to help me select my first one. One species I have found myself drawn to is Aphonopelma eutylenum. From what I have read their care is roughly the same as other Aphonopelma species, so I am thinking a dry setup in a 5 gallon tank with 4 or so inches of substrate. I would love to hear the first hand exsperiances that you all have with this species.

aurusantula

Arachnopeon
Don't have an A. eutylenum, but I would suspect that pretty much all the Aphonopelma's have about the same needs. I would suggest making sure that you line the tank with enough substrate that if your tarantula falls then it won't rupture its abdomen. Always be sure to have a full waterdish in the enclosure, and make sure that you're getting your tarantula from a breeder and not a wild caught.

Also, oooooo what a pretty spider.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Never owned it, but looked into owning it at one point. It's a great species to own. That would be a good start setup if you had one that wasn't a sling. Not sure the height of a 5 gallon tank, regardless make sure the the sub height is no more than 1.5x the DLS of the T.

tjs028

Arachnopeon
Thanks for all of the good advice both of you. I am planning to go with a subadult but will scale the enclosure accordingly if I end up going with a smaller sling.

Walker253

Arachnobaron
A 5 gallon is huge. Mine is in a medium Critter Keeper. As far as keeping her, she's pretty much the same as most Aphonopelma. I like my chalcodes better (better looking imo), but the eutylenum is fine none the less

tjs028

Arachnopeon
Haha I guess all my years of keeping fish and reef tanks has made me paranoid about providing enough space.

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
Haha I guess all my years of keeping fish and reef tanks has made me paranoid about providing enough space.
Haha yeah these guys are completely different from fish and reef tanks lol. I agree with basically everything said above.^ Also, if you are expecting a jet black t, be aware that usually they are not jet black.