Experienced our first molt

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
Just wanted to say hello to arachnoboards. I bought a B. smithi for my son and we were able to experience the molting process for our first time. 2016-04-29 18.24.43.jpg 20160429_232325.jpg

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
Sadly, no. I had been checking constantly to try and catch her during the process, but she ended up molting while I was asleep. My goal is to see it on the next molt. Definitely exciting. My son loves her and wants me to get an OBT due to their attitude and kung fu poses. He's going to have to wait a long time for one of those.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Sadly, no. I had been checking constantly to try and catch her during the process, but she ended up molting while I was asleep. My goal is to see it on the next molt. Definitely exciting. My son loves her and wants me to get an OBT due to their attitude and kung fu poses. He's going to have to wait a long time for one of those.
It happens relatively quickly, at least with slings. I was fortunate to to catch my B. smithi sling molting and took some pics -- not great through the lid but I didn't want to disturb them. :)

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
It happens relatively quickly, at least with slings. I was fortunate to to catch my B. smithi sling molting and took some pics -- not great through the lid but I didn't want to disturb them. :)
If I'm not mistaken, his B. smithi is four years old. Are you familiar with how long the process takes for that age? Also, would she be considered sub-adult?

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
If I'm not mistaken, his B. smithi is four years old. Are you familiar with how long the process takes for that age? Also, would she be considered sub-adult?
I'm afraid I don't have the experience to answer that question but hopefully others with older B. smithi tarantulas can give you an idea. There was recently a thread about these arbitrary "stages" and it seems there is no clear consensus. I think sub-adult means they are basically at adult size but haven't matured (so you can only guess until they are adults and then you'll know they were previously sub?). It is clear when the male goes through his final molt but with females, my understanding is that they are considered mature once they molt only once per year.

Sorry if that was more confusing than helpful! :confused: I am still very much learning!

Steelo Johnson

Arachnado
I'm afraid I don't have the experience to answer that question but hopefully others with older B. smithi tarantulas can give you an idea. There was recently a thread about these arbitrary "stages" and it seems there is no clear consensus. I think sub-adult means they are basically at adult size but haven't matured (so you can only guess until they are adults and then you'll know they were previously sub?). It is clear when the male goes through his final molt but with females, my understanding is that they are considered mature once they molt only once per year.

Sorry if that was more confusing than helpful! :confused: I am still very much learning!
Not confusing at all. I'm going to search the forums to see what I can find.