Experience with Snail Enclosures?

Notaloka

Arachnopeon
I've been wondering which light to get for my snail enclosure as my furniture in my room isnt facing the windows. Now i dont need anything big at all as the enclosure doesn't pass 20 x 20 x 30 cm's. Anyone know of any bulb that benefits both plants and snails,, of the smallest size bulb?

Polenth

Arachnobaron
I'm assuming from the sunlight comment that you're concerned about UV and vitamin D. Personally, I wouldn't use a UV light for snails, as the risks outweigh the potential benefits in my opinion. Most pet snails are not designed to deal with high levels of UV. There's also the risk of overheating and drying out. The same goes for putting them in direct sunlight. It's a good thing your furniture doesn't face the window, not a bad thing.

But they do need vitamin D, so it's a good idea to find food with added vitamin D. I used powdered milk and fish food, but you can get reptile calcium/vitamin D supplements as well.

For low light plants, an LED light will be fine. You could look at aquarium lights for a single tank, but for something like moss grown for snail food, just an LED spotlight pointing towards the tank will probably be enough. That's all I use to keep the moss green in my millipede tanks.

Notaloka

Arachnopeon
I'm assuming from the sunlight comment that you're concerned about UV and vitamin D. Personally, I wouldn't use a UV light for snails, as the risks outweigh the potential benefits in my opinion. Most pet snails are not designed to deal with high levels of UV. There's also the risk of overheating and drying out. The same goes for putting them in direct sunlight. It's a good thing your furniture doesn't face the window, not a bad thing.

But they do need vitamin D, so it's a good idea to find food with added vitamin D. I used powdered milk and fish food, but you can get reptile calcium/vitamin D supplements as well.

For low light plants, an LED light will be fine. You could look at aquarium lights for a single tank, but for something like moss grown for snail food, just an LED spotlight pointing towards the tank will probably be enough. That's all I use to keep the moss green in my millipede tanks.

an LED spotlight, mind showing me a product example of one. I wish to grow ivy, bromeliads in the future. will that be enough? for now it's moss. As well as fish flakes, I've heard they are a good food option but haven't seen which brand would be most suitable.

Polenth

Arachnobaron
an LED spotlight, mind showing me a product example of one. I wish to grow ivy, bromeliads in the future. will that be enough? for now it's moss. As well as fish flakes, I've heard they are a good food option but haven't seen which brand would be most suitable.
Ivy is low light, but it's poisonous. Bromeliads need more light than a spotlight, and the snails will almost certainly chew holes in them. I'd just go for moss for a snail enclosure. It'll keep the moisture up and it won't matter if they eat it.

I can't link to products due to forum rules, but the spotlights I have were sold as "MiniSun Daylight LED Clamp On Desk Lamp Spotlight". You want lights that are "cool white" or "daylight", rather than the yellowy "warm white". I have a peace lily growing under these lights (not in an animal enclosure... just as a room plant), as well as the moss.

Search for "LED aquarium light" for a lot of choices of lights to fit on enclosures. That'd be better if you want a bit more growth.

For growing higher light plants, try searching for "LED grow light". Grow lights are tailored specifically to the light plants need. Like I say, I wouldn't put plants like this in with snails, but it'd work if you want to grow some of these separately.

Also don't forget things like using mirrors to bounce light around. You get a lot more for your lighting with good mirror placement.

Notaloka

Arachnopeon
Ivy is low light, but it's poisonous. Bromeliads need more light than a spotlight, and the snails will almost certainly chew holes in them. I'd just go for moss for a snail enclosure. It'll keep the moisture up and it won't matter if they eat it.

I can't link to products due to forum rules, but the spotlights I have were sold as "MiniSun Daylight LED Clamp On Desk Lamp Spotlight". You want lights that are "cool white" or "daylight", rather than the yellowy "warm white". I have a peace lily growing under these lights (not in an animal enclosure... just as a room plant), as well as the moss.

Search for "LED aquarium light" for a lot of choices of lights to fit on enclosures. That'd be better if you want a bit more growth.

For growing higher light plants, try searching for "LED grow light". Grow lights are tailored specifically to the light plants need. Like I say, I wouldn't put plants like this in with snails, but it'd work if you want to grow some of these separately.

Also don't forget things like using mirrors to bounce light around. You get a lot more for your lighting with good mirror placement.

Would you mind exchanging contact info? I'll send my email to your pm just in case. I want to make sure i get a correct product the first time and not run the risk.