C. Lividum Rehouse

FezTheImmigrant

Arachnopeon
So I've been watching some Exotics Lair videos, and I cam across one of his rehouse videos for his C. Lividum. He has somewhat sparse substrate for it, but he has a huge PVC pipe running along the middle,to the bottom. I was wondering what you guys thought of an enclosure like this for a C. Lividum upload_2019-5-14_13-14-51.png

docwade87

Arachnoknight
My opinion and nothing personal against the guy. However I’ve never been impressed with this channel. I’m not but so experienced with Ts and I see things that I question that he does. How he has the following he does on there, I have no idea.

You are exactly correct, this setup for his C. Lividus is very sparse and IMO is not adequate for a true fossorial like this. Will it adapt? ...most likely. However it’s not optimal. The pipe does not allow for the T to truly burrow. Give this species deep, moist substrate that it can burrow in. Obviously depth of sub will depend on the size of the T. This allows for more natural behavior and as we know, properly housed Ts with specifics maintained for each certain species makes Ts happy and less likely to be crazy “A holes” trying to bite you. Just my two cents in my limited experience thus far.

Last edited:

Serpyderpy

Arachnosquire
How he has the following he does on there, I have no idea.
He went the way of most pet youtubers. Start off relatively small with a passion, one video gets promoted to the algorithm and it gets popular, it draws people in, they start getting demands for things like specific animals, or a certain type of content, and they usually cave in and do it. You get thumbnails hyped to hell, saturated in emoticons and caps lock out the ass. You can get away with subpar care for adaptable animals but some of the enclosures are lacking, don't even get me started on the glimpse I saw of his hamsters cage. I especially like how he says he's not tormenting his animals while purposely moving his hand very quickly around an animal that relies 90% of the time on vibrations and movements through very, very sensitive hairs. Doesn't do much to help the stigma that OW's are apparently devil incarnate and will go after you. The pet 'collecting' hobby does not suit itself to the regular update schedule that most popular youtube channels demand.

The care isn't terrible, but I wouldn't stick pipes in an enclosure, purely due to the fact that a fossorial will burrow and an enclosed pipe blocks off quite a bit of access to the substrate. All the sub to the right and left of that pipe would be perfect for expanding upon but it can't because it's blocked. I believe the pipe is completely sealed at the bottom as well? I'm more leaning on the fact this is there so it's either a) easier to rehouse or b) easier to see the tarantula because this species doesn't seem to web extravagantly. It wouldn't be bad to place a PVC ring in there as a starter burrow but not the whole thing.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I agree with everything that’s been said, but I’m more concerned about those weird wood chips more so than the pipe. Sharp wood could injure the Ts abdomen.

Enrgy

Arachnosquire
i bet he has a very angry spider lol. only 'spider guys' i watch from time to time on the tube are spiderengineer, jon3800 and tom moran.

Last edited:

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I agree with everything that’s been said, but I’m more concerned about those weird wood chips more so than the pipe. Sharp wood could injure the Ts abdomen.
He uses the wood chips in most of his enclosures, a thin layer on the top of the substrate. I think it's supposed to be like a leaf litter effect? He dislikes the look of plain cocofibre iirc.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper

CorCam

Arachnopeon
So I've been watching some Exotics Lair videos, and I cam across one of his rehouse videos for his C. Lividum. He has somewhat sparse substrate for it, but he has a huge PVC pipe running along the middle,to the bottom. I was wondering what you guys thought of an enclosure like this for a C. Lividum View attachment 308442
That hand of his is too annoying

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just don't, literally the only 2 channels I can think of off the top of my head that are worth watching are Tom Moran and EulersK.

C. lividus*

So do I, that's why I use topsoil/peat instead.
Those are good and Spiderengineer! This guy think likes me and have the same view on set ups and keeping. To bad he isnt uploading anymore

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I especially like how he says he's not tormenting his animals while purposely moving his hand very quickly around an animal that relies 90% of the time on vibrations and movements through very, very sensitive hairs. Doesn't do much to help the stigma that OW's are apparently devil incarnate and will go after you.
The first time I saw that, I commented that he needed to stop antagonizing his tarantulas into threat postures by waving his hands around and both he, and Petko, lambasted me for even suggesting that he was doing that. :rolleyes:
So I've been watching some Exotics Lair videos, and I cam across one of his rehouse videos for his C. Lividum. He has somewhat sparse substrate for it, but he has a huge PVC pipe running along the middle,to the bottom. I was wondering what you guys thought of an enclosure like this for a C. Lividum
He is one of the worst examples in the hobby, right behind Brian Barczyk. His channel is strictly tormenting animals for entertainment and should not be considered in any way an example for responsible hobbyists to follow. There is just too much wrong that it isn't worth the effort to try to find the few things he might do right. My only advice is to find other sources for inspiration if you want to care for your animals properly.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
He is one of the worst examples in the hobby, right behind Brian Barczyk.
I'd say that's a biiiit of a stretch.

Certainly wouldn't recommend anyone view Exotic Lair's videos for information or anything outside of cheap entertainment (if watching someone piss off their Ts is your cup of, ehem, tea). But Brian Barczyk is truly in a league of his own at this point.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I'd say that's a biiiit of a stretch.
Certainly wouldn't recommend anyone view Exotic Lair's videos for information or anything outside of cheap entertainment (if watching someone piss off their Ts is your cup of, ehem, tea). But Brian Barczyk is truly in a league of his own at this point.
You're entitled to your opinion and I'm entitled to mine. Intentionally tormenting tarantulas alone puts him in a very close second in my books.