Exo terra Modification

StampFan

Arachnodemon
You think there's a reasonable chance a heavy-bodied A. geniculata would get on the ceiling of a habitat? I've thought about this a fair amount, and like anything I boil it down to risk/reward scenario. Here is how I kind of broke it down in my mind, and if there is some failure in this thinking please let me know...

I believe the risk of this particular T to climb the walls to be fairly low; the risk to climb on the ceiling even lower; the risk for it to march across the screen lower still; the risk to get stuck on the screen even lower; the risk of a bad outcome if it does get stuck on the screen even lower.

The benefit of modifying the ceiling is obvious... no chance of T stuck in screen, but there are some risks involved in performing the modification, such as risk of damage to the habitat during modification, risk of failure of the modification which could injure the T, and risk of the modification negatively affecting the ecosystem of the habitat.

So basically I'm weighing what I perceive to be a very low risk of T injury by leaving the screen versus the very low risks involved with modifying the habitat to eliminate the screen. It's obviously not a clear answer, as it seems as many people leave the habitats as is versus those that modify.

Thoughts?
Yep, they all climb, its a matter of how much and how often. Some more than others. Sometimes looking for food. Sometimes avoiding a stressor. Sometimes looking for warmth (as attested to by many who have space heaters, and have T's hanging on the sides of the space heater). But they will climb. I saw some in an LPS a while ago, a good reputable reptile store, had their T's in Exo Terra's, and most of their T's were all over the sides climbing.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
Yep, they all climb, its a matter of how much and how often. Some more than others. Sometimes looking for food. Sometimes avoiding a stressor. Sometimes looking for warmth (as attested to by many who have space heaters, and have T's hanging on the sides of the space heater). But they will climb. I saw some in an LPS a while ago, a good reputable reptile store, had their T's in Exo Terra's, and most of their T's were all over the sides climbing.
Yep. I’m convinced. Seems like the best thing to do. I was planning on doing some pretty ambitious internal modifications to the habitat, so will just add the lid to the list. Will probably make one with a hatch for top access.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
LOL... I quit reading your threads awhile back.
I don’t care if you read them or not, just glad your T will be safer than your original ridiculous lunacy.

CB and I told you the same info in different ways, as did others LOL.

There’s hope for you yet....or maybe not...time will tell.

Last edited:

str8 8

Arachnopeon
Ok folks, I have a question or maybe its a thought. After keeping Chameleons and other Herps I get the point about mesh and claws getting caught. The thing I don't get is the how a T can easily chew threw steel mesh but apparently not acrylic or plexi? Both are miles softer. I'm not being argumentitive just crazy curious. Thanks

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Have you looked at mesh, and looked at acrylic as they would be encountered by a T?

One word--- leverage

str8 8

Arachnopeon
Have you looked at mesh, and looked at acrylic as they would be encountered by a T?

One word--- leverage
please explain. I don't think their fangs change size or length so I'm not sure how they can exert more leverage with equal length levers. Difference in reaction to force by the materials? sorry for the run on sentences.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
please explain. I don't think their fangs change size or length so I'm not sure how they can exert more leverage with equal length levers. Difference in reaction to force by the materials? sorry for the run on sentences.
Too hard for me to explain via typing. Think of it like this, there's a hole in acrylic, vs a fang in mesh, which one is going to bend?

str8 8

Arachnopeon
Too hard for me to explain via typing. Think of it like this, there's a hole in acrylic, vs a fang in mesh, which one is going to bend?
So reaction of force by materials. The wire bends easier than the acrylic chips. Thanks, my mind gets obcessed with questions. lol

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
After keeping Chameleons and other Herps I get the point about mesh and claws getting caught. The thing I don't get is the how a T can easily chew threw steel mesh but apparently not acrylic or plexi?
I think the more likely issue is not that a tarantula will literally chew through mesh but that it can use its fangs and its surprising strength to pry the mesh loose from the frame that is holding it.

But the biggest concern with mesh is that their tarsal claws will get stuck in it, which makes possible that they will fall and/or amputate a limb in an effort to escape.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The mesh is more pliable so they'll eventually break it or pry it free from the frame, a tarantula will break its fangs before it chews through plastic (my L. difficilis snapped a fang trying to chew the vents of her kritter keeper).

20992850_1837040856309345_6267950828364834275_n.jpg

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think the more likely issue is not that a tarantula will literally chew through mesh but that it can use its fangs and its surprising strength to pry the mesh loose from the frame that is holding it.

But the biggest concern with mesh is that their tarsal claws will get stuck in it, which makes possible that they will fall and/or amputate a limb in an effort to escape.

I can't say it's more/less likely, however the above is not exactly true. They can chew through the mesh itself, leaving the wire intact on the vent frame.

There was a thread on here showing this, but the images are gone.