Evil Rosea (chilean rose hair) Therapy Group (Final Tally: Who's Got Em?)

Gold Skulltula

Arachnosquire
Old Timer

The other adult female ("Bertha B**ch") just plain lives up to her name....she has a Haplopelma complex and will happily bite AIR if she thinks you're even
This thread has been so informative to me! I've always wondered if people were just crazy when talking about their H. Lividums.. cause mine has never once showed me any aggression! Sure she's fast, but I've never even gotten so much of a display out of her. Maybe she should switch places with Bertha!

wedge07

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Rosea isn't really aggressive, more than a Rosie should be though, but just really defensive. She is skittish more than anything and will do a threat pose if agitated too much but I don't really have a problem cleaning out her home with my bare hands. If anyone else puts their hands near the enclosure she will throw a threat pose. She will normally just stay to the other side of her enclosure. When I first got her she wasn't really like this, but once she molted and laid an eggsac she turned into the skittish little monster she is now.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine wont have anything move in her cage. If it does she is ready for a fight. She will even attack the water when I fill her dish. This was taken the last time I tried to get her water dish out to clean it.

Last edited:

Sterlingspider

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I wouldn't exactly call Miss Piggy evil per-se, but she definitely investigates things with a bit more...vigor then I would like my hand investigated.

She has an insane appetite and runs after and pounces on everything I put in her tank, presumably in the hopes that she can eat it. This goes for water, water dishes, tweezers etc.. and she even won the first tug of war we got in to, mostly because I was so shocked at having the paintbrush I was holding yanked on that I let it go. When I retrieved it there were visible scratch marks on the ferrule where her fangs had been holding.

This was my very first experience with wrangling a T, I might add.

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
this thread is 6 years old lol, though i give whoever props for actualy using search!

WelshTan

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i have 2 chile rose. . .both bout 3"-4". . one is a gentle rock who wont move in tank but is happy to wander all over hands etc. . .the other. . .a nitemare. . hides in coconut shell but as soon as u put hands in tank kicks off hairs and assumes threat pose. . have only held it once and within minutes it was kicking off hairs and assumed threat pose. . i swiftly put it back in tank. . . my bf has tried to get the rosea out n is met by more frantic hair kicking n threat pose. . .he managed to coax it into a carton n let the rosea climb out onto table. . .tried to coax it gently onto his hand. . .was met by more hair kicking n threat pose. . then the bite. . .luckily he moved his hand quickly n my tabletop was met by the fangs which left a mark.. .needless to say the nitemare rosea has only ate once (5 crix in one sitting) in my care n has been seen with live crix sitting on its legs!!!!! it seems happy to have crix as "cellmates" lol. . .but has an aggressive tendancy to humans

SylverTear

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My Rose hair Amber has only really done anything defensive once. That was my fault though, I startled her and all she did was tap my hand with her pedipalps. (sp). I kept my hand there and she was still a moment then climbed on up and I've had no problems since. She did do a flicking hair motion once when I was trying to get her out one time but she never actually flicked hairs, it's almost like she thought, "Oh wait...it's dad...okay I'll let him hold me". She turned around and got onto my hand no problem after that.

I hold her all the time, let her climb around on me when I'm sitting at the computer. Once I was even lying down on the floor in the "Herp Room" (I have two Collared Lizards too) and ended up dozing off. Apparently she had climbed on my face and sat there for a while. My better half got some pictures of it. I'll have to post those soon lol. He gently picked her up and put her back in her tank.

But someone did say early on that each T is different and unique. That's the same for most animals. I also had a salt-water fish tank at one point, and kept a Fu Man Chu Lion fish in the Refugium in the bottom (it's a biological filter that uses sea grass to pull out nitrates). I'd stick my hand down there and he would swim right up and sit on it. Never stung me once. I did however get stung by a different one of the same species in the pet store I worked at. I was cleaning and he shot across the tank and stuck me.

Everyone has to remember that they are animals and yes they can be tame, but they have personalities too. They can get grumpy just like ALL the rest of us lol. ;P

Luiscifer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Rosea or is she an OBT

Hey all I guess I am part of the club too. I have had My Chili rose(as I say) since she was a sling she is 5 inches and fat as hell. When she became a juvi I noticed that when ever I opened her enclosure she would make a dash toward my hand. I always use large tweezers but she still made that dash.
As time progressed she got more and more viscious. Now I can't so much as look at her without being flashed with a face full of fangs. Even my wife was like "OMG are u sure she is a rosea" I really think she is going to molt into an OBT sometime soon. I have had my OBT for sometime now and although ill never fall asleep on her she has yet to give me the fangs in your face routine. I thought they were a good beginer T...what a crock.

SilentMercury

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have 2 Rosehairs that are aggressive. I also had a Dwarf Rose that was a mean one. My Chaco Gold/Mustard Knee, which is also Grammostola, was very docile in her first 10 years. Now she just wants to be left alone. If I had to guess, maybe age has something to do with it.

buteo_12701

Arachnopeon
My Rose

Wow this thread is old. My rosea lives up to the docile character...except in his cage he likes to defend it by kicking up hairs and occassionly will hold his front legs up. Outside the cage anyone can handle him. You can even pet him if you want to with no trouble. Just dont blow on him bc he hates the invisible threat lol. Nice diggin this up...good info.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Even my wife was like "OMG are u sure she is a rosea" I really think she is going to molt into an OBT sometime soon.
How do you people get so lucky?!!! I can't get my hands on anything that has attitude, from roseas to OBTs to H. macs--you name it (well, my S. calceatums are "friendly", lol). Anybody have a defensive T they want to get rid of send it to uncle Nature Boy. I love 'em mean!

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How do you people get so lucky?!!! I can't get my hands on anything that has attitude, from roseas to OBTs to H. macs--you name it (well, my S. calceatums are "friendly", lol). Anybody have a defensive T they want to get rid of send it to uncle Nature Boy. I love 'em mean!
lol I was thinking about asking you if you wanted my asian tiger, she was extreamly mean and would attack if I looked at her wrong, but now that she has some dirt, and out of her deli cup, and made a hole in the ground she's calmed down totally.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
lol I was thinking about asking you if you wanted my asian tiger, she was extreamly mean and would attack if I looked at her wrong, but now that she has some dirt, and out of her deli cup, and made a hole in the ground she's calmed down totally.
Well, keep me in mind for the future.

kalvaer

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little rosea sling is really to tiny to show much attitude, But it sure is the most active of all of them. It always doing something, from burying the hide I tried to make it, to running around the enclosure as I move around the room to make sure its always facing me. It will also pretty much eat anything I drop in for it

I'll be let you all know for sure how it turns out later on, but for now its not what anyone has told me.

scar is my t

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
jon3800 on youtube has a rosea from hell and im scared for life just by watching a video that had it in it.*starts crying* it attacked that painbrush and wouldnt let go why must it be so mean!!!!

mattpaw

Arachnopeon
Interesting occurance

Guys, I feel your pain, but there may be hope. I bought my rose hair about 4 months ago and I had written her off as unhandleable. She was extremely skittish and exhibited a threat pose on more than one occasion when I attemted to remove her from her cage. I continued to test her tempermant and about 2 weeks ago I was able to get her out of her enclosure and handle her. I've since handled her many times and she seems to have gotten used to the procedure. I found that in my T's case I just had to call her bluff a little bit and continue working with her. Maybe this will be the case with your rose.

Erwynn

Arachnopeon
We have a rosehair female, don't think she's full grown yet, but she's turning into a real snatch. When we first got her, she was in bad shape, very thin, with barely any hair, not active at all, dehydrated. I don't think she was handled properly, she has scars, and two gimps legs that should fix themselves in the next molt hopefully.

Now she's getting her stockiness back and I can't even do my weekly maintenance now without having my hubby do "back up" viewing to see where she is at. I used to be able to do anything in there; could move stuff near her, pass my hand right in front of her face and everything.

Whereas she used to be completely docile, and I actually held her once when we were transferring her, now she is very aggressive. Not defensive..aggressive. She actually starts trying to find u once she knows u open the cage, goes into posture and starts tagging whatever is near her. It's like overnight too, very bipolar Rosie indeed.