Evil Rosea (chilean rose hair) Therapy Group (Final Tally: Who's Got Em?)

Longbord1

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
mine a three inch 3 year old and she is the nicest thing ever i can cuttle her the only thing bad she does is poop on me whenever i hold her but u know what they say poop is the highest form of flattery

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yes,i suppose they do longboard :)

but maybe not in the human world.. but..

I came back to find one of my real aggressive rosea's nice and molted, and to my surprise --- --

still mean as all get out. I love em though!

pce
dave

pixi14369

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little female is the biggest bitch on earth..ans she is still a juvi.

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
haha nice :)

glad to see i'm not the only one thats got a mean one!

pce
dave

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I thought mine was starting to settle down until yesterday. I droped a corn flake(cricket bedding) in her enclosure while feeding her crickets . And after she ate about three hours later I tried to get it . I nudged her lovingly, and she turned grabbed the old toothbrush I use to move her. She quikly bit missing the toothbrush hitting soil and got her web blanket. I gave up ,and then this morning she is still hovering over that damn corn flake she is defending it for some reason. It is the funniest thing I've seen.=D

atmosphere

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Originally posted by RugbyDave
geez, i've never seen my rosea kick hairs. she's beyond that i think :) she goes right for the kill...

did your T pull the tweezers down? I had an older T who (mysteriously) died, and i remember one time he tagged a chopstick (its all i had at the time) and pulled (wicked hard!) down.

peace
dave

Mine did that to me before.And I let her have it because it took me by surprise.:eek:

SwEeTeSt-KiLLeR

Arachnopeon
mine doesnt seemed to be bothered by anything..sooner be a pet rock..but i havent attempted to handle her either..have touched her..she just sauntered away

what makes them turn aggressive??? age? urge to mate? :?

RugbyDave

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there!

Nothing makes them "turn" agressive, although i have heard a couple of people notice that as theirs get older, they tend to be more grouchy... but..

in general, not every T in a given "docile" T-species really ends up being docile. The same goes for agressive Ts, though the more aggressive the T-species the more general that a certain T from that group will be aggressive or defensive.

in other words, every T is unique :)

some roseas can't be touched and some poecilotherias are able to be handled...

each T is different, its good to learn that early on, too! ;)

take care
peace

crash769

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My male did his maturing molt about a year and a half a go and is still eating and doin great. He is really calm and sweet. Here is a pic of him.

Attachments

BigCatTattoos

Arachnopeon
I got a Chilean rose about 2 weeks ago & am Emperor Scorpion, but I don't dare put my hand in, because I am terrified of all spiders, bugs, etc. Ewww at the creepy crawlers. My reason for getting one is that I do shows at schools and the scouts as well as other organizations. Sorry you guys, I don't mean to offend, but I really don't like these things. But I have over time become accustomed to using them in shows (but they stay in their containers-I do not hold them, any of them!) But I must say it stays away from me when I feed, spray, or change water, I can't say the same for that @*!# scorpion tho!That thing runs at me every time I try to take dead crickets out, or catch the uneaten ones or change water! Grrr, and I heard those things are supposed to be "a good beginner scorpion" yeah right-not mine! But it will stay here and I will give both of them the best life I can. I strive to do that for all my animals.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We have three adult roseas...One mature male ("Gladys"-don't ask)...who matured about a year ago and is still eating fine...though no longer making sperm webs...he's a sweetheart and I would and have allowed small children to hold him.
One of the adult females ("Rosie") is made of sugar and will sing you a lullabye if you ask nicely...
The other adult female ("Bertha B**ch") just plain lives up to her name....she has a Haplopelma complex and will happily bite AIR if she thinks you're even glancing in her direction.....hehehehe
Both females are around the 6" mark.....and fat cows, tooo! ;)
We would never reccommend a rosea as a first T.....maybe a B.albopilosum...even an Avic.avic...but NOT a rosea!

AubZ

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My MM was not as evil as some of these, but would strike and rear up for the brush.

Just got his G/F last week. She has already been mated and is just skittish. SO far doesn't sem so bad. Will wait and see.

gambite

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Mine was perfect when I first got her a month ago. She was little skittish, but you could hold her fine. In fact, I let my nine year old sister hold her, she as so tame. Now, she has gotten quite grumpy, and swings around and tries to bite the pen I use to nudge her butt with. In fact, she bit it so hard once that I heard a loud scratching crack, and thought she broke a fang. Her fang was fine, but the pen had bit marks!

Shell_Baby

Arachnopeon
:eek: Wow! And I thought rosies were good beginner T's!

I have 2 and both seem to be nice, instead of naughty! My 1.75" will go after the paintbrush, but is a total sweetheart when she's in your hand (maybe it's the purple handle on the paintbrush??) The other one is a mature female 5-6" and I have only held her once - she kicked hairs on my hand. That was in the petstore, so I haven't held her since - haven't worked up the nerve yet since I saw her cleaning her fangs the other day....rather not get tagged by those! LOL

thedude

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
heres a pic of my rosie after she was mated last night

elephantspider

Arachnopeon
LOL I was just going to comment on my rosea incident!

I had something happen to me today that was so insane, I was going to make a post about it anyway, glad to find a thread for it! My G. rosea has been in my care for about 2 months now, and is around 4 inches. She eats like there is no tomorrow, and I can't even change out her water dish without having to distract her with a paint brush, grab the dish and run like hell. When I put it back in, I have to just let it drop, and then fill it with a bottle from above...meanwhile she is attacking the water droplets like they are going to get her. She is insane. She never runs, she never backs down, she never hides. She charges the tank when she sees you coming. Well that all said, I will tell you about what happened today.

I saw her marching around her tank and acting all tough, she must have been celebrating her new victory over her water dish which she had devilishly filled with dirt. Well I went to distract her like normal with a paintbrush, and she attacked it so fast that I did a knee jerk reaction, and pulled the brush out. Only, with the brush, came the devil herself attached to the end of it with legs and fangs. She landed on the lid of the kk, I had been using the access opening on the top, lucky for her. It was insane, I was about to freak out, thinking she would run around. Instead, the moment she found herself outside of her teritory, she was a wholely different animal, and didn't need to defend it. She became sluggish, easy to move, and docile. I think she just has a really big head about her space. I had to almost push her back into her tank off the lid. Step by step, leg by leg, she moved back into her tank.

Wow lessons learned, I just wanted to share a funny story with you all. Hope it made you smile :)

I just thought when I purchased her, she would be so easy, compared to my H. gigas and my A. seemani. Instead she is way more difficult than both put together!

rd_07

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i have 5inch roses
1 orange and red
the orange remains docile
but the red one is nasty and prefers bigger prey such as mouse:mad:

MrRogers

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I had one G. rosea (Rosie) and I handled her once and she flicked hairs at me, then I left her alone from then on. She was defensive, but not crazy!!

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Wow there seems to be a lot of nasty roseas. I read on one website, that stated that about 1 in 1000 roseas bite. Seems their facts are off by a bit. My MM is very nice and doesn't mind being handled. The female I picked up from petco recently though I'm not so sure about. She hasn't shown a threat pose, and I've tried to hold her a couple times, but she just puts two legs on my hand and then wont move and I'm not about to force her. I just picked up another MF rosea last night and I held her fine, and I went to a friends house right after the pet store, so she came inside where I was holding her, and then my friend wanted to and she was fine for a couple mine, and then she was on his arm and showed a threat pose, but I think he may have breathed on her or something, because right when she did that and I told him don't move he wanted her off him. So I put my hand down and gave her a nudge from behind and she went onto my hand with no problems. Her thing though is she webs while she walks so we had a bunch of silk on us. But she didn't make any web in her enclosure last night after we got home.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hi! (i know the "r" shouldn't be capitalized, but who cares :) )

alright, as more and more new people come onto the board, eventually the "I HAVE A MEAN G.ROSEA WHAT DO I DO" posts come flooding in. (nothing wrong with that, by the way)

But whats the final tally thus far?

who's got a G.rosea that is from hell? I'm talking one so mean, you'd let your 6 year old niece hold your Usumbara or gigas before you'd let her hold your rosea (i don't have a 6 year old niece, but if i did, i'd tell her to run really far away from my rosea).

I seriously think that my Usumbara is in cahoots with my roseas. I think my OBT is pulling the rosea's over to the dark side. I'm sure they're all conspiring against me. I really used duct tape last night on their cages. I saw them trying to jimmy it open! I'm know what time it is on the T-streets! =D

so let's go with a final count for now!
Mean -or- Nice?

Pet Rocks or Pet Satan ;P

peace
dave
If you think she's that bad send her to me and I'll put her in with my big female S. calceatum. Game over, man. lol. (j/k)