Everyone say R.I.P to the oldest spider recorded

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
"Through Barbara’s detailed research, we were able to determine that the extensive life span of the trapdoor spider is due to their life-history traits, including... their sedentary nature and low metabolisms.”

If only that were true for humans! I could quit the gym, become a total couch potato... and live to 100!

So sorry for the spider's untimely demise, though - would have loved to find out how long she could have lived had she remained unmolested in her burrow!

Smokehound714

Arachnoking
that's nothing compared to bothriocyrtum. you thought aphonos grew slow? try these guys. some friends and i came to the conclusion that these take 30 years to reach full size. ive had a sling for nearly 8 years now and it hasnt grown at all. just like a few mm really. it only eats 3-4 times a year.

Bothriocyrtum really needs more protection :(

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
It's not about which spiders last longer. It's that this is the longest "domesitcated" spider on record.

Hats off to you, sir. Sleep well.

Zymotic

Arachnopeon
Somewhere there is a guy or gal smirking as they think back to the time 15 years ago when they switched out number 16 with a freshly molted and brand new adult specimen.

Jokesonmeow

Arachnopeon
Wow. I didn’t know that 16 was living in the wild still at the time of her death. Maybe I’m being sensitive or maybe it was how beautifully this article was written, but I certainly have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Wow. I didn’t know that 16 was living in the wild still at the time of her death. Maybe I’m being sensitive or maybe it was how beautifully this article was written, but I certainly have tears in my eyes. Thank you for sharing.
I shed a few tears reading it as well!

cold blood

Staff member
I guarantee there are rose hairs, both captive and wild that are older than this....but like this t, there is no way to age a t/spider to prove it.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I guarantee there are rose hairs, both captive and wild that are older than this....but like this t, there is no way to age a t/spider to prove it.
Yip, it was a good story but I could tell a similar one about a worm, a caterpillar, a beetle, algea. It can be seen as life itself without anthropomorphizing but, ...it kind of is. None of us likes the idea of death but it's associated with all life, an isopod, anything, so it's hard not to do so. Some say we don't have instincts but I think we are only conscious of our instincts the moment they happen so we instead label our instincts as consciousness. An example, somebody screams and you point it out as instinct and they say, "No, I know I screamed so it's not instinct.", but it was instinct. "Hey, over here, I'm in trouble!". It was a good read though, I'm not dissing it, there is meaning for me in that read.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The craziest part to me is that this spider died from predation, not old age. Anybody wanna place bets on their maximum lifespan?