every tarantula should have a water dish?

Should all tarantulas have a water dish at all times or is misting fine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
But this seems to be a good thread to ask the "Question" - "Do you provide a water dish for your fossorial sp?"
My pet hole has a water dish. I've never seen her use it (or leave her burrow, for that matter), but once I found that the dish had been tipped over, so I assume she must come out when I am not looking.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I'm sure with a little tweek here and there, I'll manage to get small bottle caps in the fossorial enclosures, it should be quite easy as they retreat to their burrows anyway. Thanks for the advice, it was something I was never sure about, I'll get onto it tomorrow.
For years all soft drink lids were the same size, but now Aldi is in Australia they have spring water bottles with smaller lids which are easier to fit in than the coke bottle sized ones, maybe that's the case where you are?

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
For years all soft drink lids were the same size, but now Aldi is in Australia they have spring water bottles with smaller lids which are easier to fit in than the coke bottle sized ones, maybe that's the case where you are?
I've managed to fit soft-drink bottle caps into three of the enclosures, I'm just needing a few more to complete the fossorial enclosures....

Trincess

Arachnopeon
This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink. This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink after moulting a little while before. She knew she had a water source and came out for a good drink. Misting would have been absolutely useless.

Absolutely stunning

Jesse607

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmm...I neither keep water dishes or mist, just keep at least part of the substrate moist, no problems in 18 years! Quit misting quite quickly after starting the hobby when I noticed it seemed to stress the T's. Quit using dishes after a year or so after noticing they were always buried, or moved/dumped. I noticed some would drink up some water from the substrate right after I added water if it was dry, but never had dehydrated dead Ts.