every tarantula should have a water dish?

Should all tarantulas have a water dish at all times or is misting fine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Yes, I provide water bowls. How else would my LP hide from those big, scary crickets?
View attachment 264231

But in all seriousness, yes I think as soon as water bowls can be provided, they should be. They don't always drink from them, but if they really need to, what happens if there's no water bowl? You're putting the tarantula at risk.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is that a common cause for stuck molts is not enough internal moisture. The easiest way to prevent that is to give them the ability to drink to it's heart's content
Couldn't of said it better myself love your little lp such a cutie thank you for posting her

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
Just witnessed another sling (Harpactira pulchripes) drinking out of it’s water dish/cup.

DDA5D0AD-9DC1-4F87-AED6-C592CE531C2E.jpeg

AEF8EB9D-62BA-4095-9D69-090AFB66AD1B.jpeg

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
Poll and picture post I so often read people saying they never saw their tarantula use a water dish. Also I see big name YouTube video makers keep so many without one.how do you feel about the water dish debate

I was going to start a new "THREAD" - Do fossorial species require a water dish?

But this seems to be a good thread to ask the "Question" - "Do you provide a water dish for your fossorial sp?"

Last edited:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I was going to start a new "THREAD" - Do fossorial species require a water dish?

But this seems to be a good thread to ask the "Question" - "Do you provide a water dish for your fossorial sp?"
If the enclosure allows for a water dish then they get a water dish.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
If the enclosure allows for a water dish then they get a water dish.
My fossorial species do not get a water dish, simply due to the fact I cannot physically fit one in, however once they're in their final enclosures I will offer one.

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
My fossorial species do not get a water dish, simply due to the fact I cannot physically fit one in, however once they're in their final enclosures I will offer one.
I do keep their enclosures damp, not muddy, I let droplets form on their webbing, so they tend to drink from there. My terrestrial slings get the smallest upturned Lego pieces, I've also used monopoly houses, hotels etc. Keeping the substrate damp also allows for sucking water from the substrate, that said I will give them (fossorial) water dishes when I can fit them into the enclosures.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
I'm still new at this, but 2 of the slings I bought used the water dishes within minutes of being released into their enclosures despite me misting and having damp sphagnum moss in there. The other day a larger juvie was drinking just hours after having a cricket, so I'm glad they had access to them. The species is Phlogius sp. 'stents' an Australian burrowing species, but more of an opportunistic burrower than a true obligate fossorial species

mconnachan

Arachnoprince
I do keep their enclosures damp, not muddy, I let droplets form on their webbing, so they tend to drink from there. My terrestrial slings get the smallest upturned Lego pieces, I've also used monopoly houses, hotels etc. Keeping the substrate damp also allows for sucking water from the substrate, that said I will give them (fossorial) water dishes when I can fit them into the enclosures.
I'm sure with a little tweek here and there, I'll manage to get small bottle caps in the fossorial enclosures, it should be quite easy as they retreat to their burrows anyway. Thanks for the advice, it was something I was never sure about, I'll get onto it tomorrow.