every tarantula should have a water dish?

Should all tarantulas have a water dish at all times or is misting fine

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Poll and picture post I so often read people saying they never saw their tarantula use a water dish. Also I see big name YouTube video makers keep so many without one.how do you feel about the water dish debate

basin79

ArachnoGod
Put one in. Better there's one there and not be needed than one needed and not be there.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
I mist the sides when they're so tiny that they're living in vials. After that, I always use a water bottle cap or larger water dish. So in a way, I do both.

Nightshady

Dislike Harvester
The easy answer is yes, every T should have one. I think it’s just makes it simpler. Sure, an experienced keeper could easily keep the proper humidity with misting, but an inexperienced keeper could easily botch the humidity with misting if they’re not using a water dish.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Absolutely, but pay attention to whether or not s/he is using it. If not, you may have to move it or mist—even if you have a T who likes it dry. I think my versi wasn't aware of hers and became a little dehydrated as she stopped eating until I started lightly misting her enclosure (it's cold here and our heated air is very arid right now). Also, it's good to mist around your T when they are in heavy premolt.

basin79

ArachnoGod
This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink. This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink after moulting a little while before. She knew she had a water source and came out for a good drink. Misting would have been absolutely useless.

Last edited:

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I will trickle water in and have a piece of dampened sphagnum moss in spiderling enclosures. Once they are in big enough enclosures, they always have a water dish. I have found some very small water dish alternatives, so even spiderlings have them. Sometimes they get two - especially for arboreals who get one high up and one on the ground. The do drink, whether you actually catch them doing it or not is irrelevant because you aren't watching them every second of every day. Every animal in my home has water available at all times... the tarantulas are no exception.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Poll and picture post I so often read people saying they never saw their tarantula use a water dish. Also I see big name YouTube video makers keep so many without one.how do you feel about the water dish debate
For very small slings you can simply moisten down a section of the sub. All adults/juveniles absolutely need to have water bowls. I haven't see anyone contest that, and if they did they are terribly misinformed. The water dish is essentially the spiders lifeline. I don't spend time changing/cleaning water bowls for fun, the spiders need the water source.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
It's just so simple and easy to put in. There's no real reason not to.

That said, it's perfectly possible to raise and keep tarantulas without ever using a dish. I only started using a dish in the last year or so.

Carly107

Arachnopeon
This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink. This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink after moulting a little while before. She new she had a water source and came out for a good drink. Misting would have been absolutely useless.

What a beauty thank you for sharing

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My 1/2" Avicularia purpurea spiderlings with two water dishes - one on the ground and one adhered to the side.
DSC05941-2.jpg
Adult Avicularia avicularia enclosure with two water dishes.
DSC05506-2.jpg
Euathlus parvulus 1/2" spiderling with water dish.
DSC03238-2.jpg
Juvenile Eupalaestrus campestratus with water dish in background.
DSC06059-2.jpg
Adult Grammostola porteri with her water dish - which she is very protective of.
DSC09162-2.jpg

Carly107

Arachnopeon
Such grate information thank you all for taking the time to share

Carly107

Arachnopeon
My 1/2" Avicularia purpurea spiderlings with two water dishes - one on the ground and one adhered to the side.
View attachment 264191
Adult Avicularia avicularia enclosure with two water dishes.
View attachment 264192
Euathlus parvulus 1/2" spiderling with water dish.
View attachment 264193
Juvenile Eupalaestrus campestratus with water dish in background.
View attachment 264195
Adult Grammostola porteri with her water dish - which she is very protective of.
View attachment 264194
What beautiful tarantulas I can't even pick a favorite they are all so pretty thank you for sharing them❤

Last edited:

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink. This is my Caribena versicolor having a drink after moulting a little while before. She new she had a water source and came out for a good drink. Misting would have been absolutely useless.

Beautiful Versi! Mine is still a tiny blue sling. I'm not sure if that's why she didn't come down to hers or if it was something else (perhaps she was misted more in her previous home). She drank droplets on the enclosure wall after I misted it the first time and stopped fasting afterwards. This could be just coincidence but it was a big one. Hopefully with time she will learn to use her bowl. It's now on a shelf I put in a new enclosure I moved her into so she may find it easier.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I had my doubt until I saw one of my sling drink out of it’s water dish, no more doubt after that.

0589C02E-6579-458D-8600-090A3FBF0566.jpeg

Last edited: