ever seen one of these?

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
spotted trap-door.... very cool.. I doubt I will see it again so I snapped a shot. Was at the New Hampshire show...
Thanks Vince of Regal.

enjoy

loosey :)

Attachments

Reitz

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Very cool.

How big was it and do you know where it's from (country, not dealer;) )?

Thanks,
Chris

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
quite large about 3"+ and austraila perhaps>> boggle>> help?? I think... though I would like to research that a bit more ....

loosey?

Last edited:

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have a couple of these that were imported from eastern Africa, supposedly Tanzania.

Barychelidae family.

Peace,

Paul

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
heheh-
oddly enought I edited my post to say austraila when it had said africa... I gots to get more sleep or something.

loo?

btw what up paul... :)

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Ed, :D

How you doing?

Nice spotted trapdoor you got there! We need to get ahold of some males to breed this species! These ones come out way more than the typical trapdoor from what I've seen. They look awesome in sunlight as well!

Peace,

Paul

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
doing ok ...

honestly I can concur that this spider spends a fair ammount of time in the open... I have see her out more then hidden in the past 72 hrs or so. I also am assuming she is gravid ... the pic doesnt really denote it but the thickness in the abdomen and its "egg" shape is starting to lead me to beleive that it is preggo.
Also... red traps... man they are nuts aggie. this thing is not quite as aggressive by any means. NOT to HANDLE but still not so damn jumppy and ready to kick ass at any given moment as say the red I used to have, when I saw it, well when I first introduced it to the tank at least. I am not so sure how to wrangle a sac when it comes to trappies have any thoughts?

your ole friend-
loosey

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Loosey,

All of the females I have of this species have that gravid look. I've had them for some time (6 months to a year) and no eggsacs have come of it. I'm beginning to wonder if that is just "the look" of this species.

I agree, the red, black and other types of trapdoors I keep appear to be much quicker to defend themselves with a bite!

I personally wouldn't wrangle the sac, so maybe someone else can better answer that. I would just leave it with momma until the spiderlings decided to start seeking a new home.

Peace,

Paul

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
just the thought of having to seperate them and collect them from the enclosure seems <crappy> to me.
I wish someone who has dealt with trapdoor sacs would chime in. Also Paul.. I think I may be able to get a male I will call you this weekend if I can .. :)

cool
loosey

SpiderFood

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thats a cool spider. Is that a common species on the market?

later

dale

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
I was lead to beleive that the spotted trap and the goldlegged trap are the more rare of traps on the market. I can only think of 4 kinds though. red, black and the two I just mentioned.

um-
looseyfur
:?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Loosey,

That would be awesome! Let me know if you have any luck! :D

I think the gun metal grey trapdoor is also in the Barychelidae family. There are numerous trapdoors. In the trade, though, there aren't as many. I've seen two different species of red trapdoor, a couple different species of black trapdoors, the spotted, the grey, and some variations of the golden legged. That's all I've personally seen in the trade though.

Peace,

paul

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
I can tell you for sure that they are mad facinating. I would like to see whats out there to be had really in the trade but I think finding any oustide whats been mentioned in this thread is slim. I would also really like the strait poop on their venom. Are they really that nasty and hardcore? oh! and has anyone fed one a pinky? ok now I am going to go stare at mine again. I still cant get over the fact shes not built a hide.

loosey:?

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are certain spiders that do have nasty venom or are related to those who have nasty venom so are suspected of having nasty venom.

Trapdoors (black trap doors) are sometimes hard to distinguish from another type of nasty venomed spider, a Missulena species perhaps? mouse spider? Perhaps someone who knows can chime in. Because of the similarity, most trapdoors it's said are best to not be handled. I have no idea if Barychelidae have been tested on venom toxicity. I did see a pic in another thread on here of a fellow handling his. He said they were quicker to run and not the bitey type. Another totally way cool spider I wish would get in more often are diplurids. They're major webbers and totally awesome! Small but very interesting, with VERY long spinneretts!!

I've only fed my trapdoors crickets and roaches. I don't know if they'd take pinkies or run from them! lol!

I'm going to change mine's setup to see it's reaction. It's funny when it goes looking for its burrow. It goes feeling all around until it finds it, lifts up the lid, and disappears into it! lol! so cool!

I'm thinking of mixing a little bit of sand into peat and creating a diagonal slant of substrate up to one side, with a level area midway up. I'd add a plant and rocks and stuff but I'm keeping her in a 1 gallon tall container. I don't want to risk the rocks smashing her if it were to get tipped over. I'm curious to see where she positions her burrow if there's a slant, a level section and another slant leading up to the lid. She's out of it so often, I just hope changing her setup won't stress her out. She's been trying to escape for a while anyway.

Peace,

paul

looseyfur

Arachnofur
Old Timer
oddly enough... still no burrow from this recent addition to my collection. substrate is a peat/verm mix with a peice of halfdollar sized cork bark. Its pretty deep perhaps 6 or 7 inches. I am starting to suspect the substrate though. perhaps some rich potting soil would be better?

maybe she is going for a record for not burying herself?

loo

phoenixxavierre

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey Loosey,

I use potting soil/peat moss mix and it works well. I think I'm going to switch it up though and mix in some sand with potting soil and peat, mostly peat and potting soil, though. She has created a trap door using that substrate.

Peace,

Paul

Ravnos

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks just like the ones I picked up early this year. I got a male and two females, and got an eggsac and babies a couple weeks ago. The babies were so small my 17x macro had trouble focusing... now that they're getting a little bigger I need to get more pics. :)

Rav

Tzatch

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Handling

I cannot imagine someone would handle one of these, mine is a very aggressive mean arse spider. He even tried to kill his sponge. I posted a new thread about the problems I am having with mine.

PS mine is a red