Euthlaus sp. Red

EricsPlasticShop

Arachnopeon
I have a male Euthlaus sp. Red that hooked out a few weeks ago. I found a female that is 2 inches. can these be an arranged hook up when the time is right?

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The male will probably be dead by the time the female is large enough to breed.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Those are slow growers, but 2" is approaching max size for the female.
It's unlikely that she'll get to full size before your male perishes, but since they grow so slow the mature males have a tendency to live a little longer than average compared to, say, warm weather tropical and pretty much all arboreals.
Females can be mated at smaller sizes, but it puts a fair amount of stress on the spider, usually causing smaller or dud sacks.
If I were you, I'd do a breeding loan with your male and wait for a better time with your female.

lalberts9310

Arachnoprince
I agree with above said. Trying to breed a young, immature female can be very risky, as said, dud sacs or very small sacs, the female still has to grow herself as well.. and this puts the female at risk being killed by the male. And chances are that the male will be dead by the time your female is ready. Your best bet would be to send him on loan, trade him, or get a mature female to breed to.

MikeC

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
the female still has to grow herself as well.. and this puts the female at risk being killed by the male.

This is another excellent point that I seemed to have glazed over.
Lolla to the rescue! :D